1988-1990 E9 injector pump.

I am looking at three Superliners all have E9’s. 
The two 88’s that were ordered together have 450’s. 
The 90 has a 500. 
Can anyone tell me when the Bosch inline pump replaced the Ambac V pump ?  
The guy that has them thinks they are all inline pumps. I believe the 90 could but unsure about the 88’s. I have read some blogs stating that the inlines found their way into some 88’s & 89’s but unsure. Waiting for definitive pics to see if in fact they are inline and if so could they be factory or converted. 

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Supermutt said:

I am looking at three Superliners all have E9’s. 
The two 88’s that were ordered together have 450’s. 
The 90 has a 500. 
Can anyone tell me when the Bosch inline pump replaced the Ambac V pump ?  
The guy that has them thinks they are all inline pumps. I believe the 90 could but unsure about the 88’s. I have read some blogs stating that the inlines found their way into some 88’s & 89’s but unsure. Waiting for definitive pics to see if in fact they are inline and if so could they be factory or converted. 

Thank you 

The 88's are definitely V Pumps. The 90 is also with a rare chance of an inline. A photo of the engine will tell all.

The inline pumps started to be used in late 90 and the total change over was in 91. The Superliners was gone in 92 and a few of them had the inline. I don't know of but a few conversions to the inline pump over the years.

My Sperliner had a whole E9 transplant out of a 93 CL Elite that had the inline pump already. It is a better pump for big HP but there is nothing wrong with a V pump in every other application. The V has 11mm plungers and is good for around 750hp. The inline about 1000hp with standard 12mm plungers. With 13mm plungers the inline is good for 1500hp.

I don't know that I would pass on an E9 in a nice truck with ether style pump. If you want it stock at 450-500hp ether will work great and plenty of power. To convert from one pump to another is not that EZ.  Either way you have to have custom lines and brackets made as they are discontinues a long time ago. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

That’s what I was thinking. I have an 89 now. Obviously has the Ambac V pump. I am waiting on pics. And yes as soon as I see the engine it will tell all if I see a P7100 on steroids lol. 
  I had an 84 back in the late 80’s early 90’s. It’s just that everything that seems to be etched in stone gets upended by something Mack did a bit different on occasion. Like axle housings, mine are 44’s but built by Hayes Dana, Mack spec. 

My opinion the inline is more resilient! I personally like the v pump for its simplicity! And had worked more with them saw a fare few failures the in-line was only use several years at the end!