Brake Master Cylinders On CASE 1990 580k

fjh

I know there are a few guys here that  and have run and worked on these !  So I thought id put it out here ! A while back I purchased this unit! the brakes had been pined together so I hadn't noticed that the right hand brake is not operating goes right to the floor and the reisvour is full ! No leaks any where so I'm assuming the Master cyl is toast on that side! I got two new master cylinders and am about to replace them ! Has Anyone here had a go at doing these ? Bleeding them looks not to be the easiest affair so was hoping there was someone here with some tips! I'm finding this machine is a changeover year for a lot of the parts the hydraulics and brakes have different kits for  serial number 20000 and lower !  you can't just order for 580k and get the right stuff! That said I managed to get the cyls for this and thought if anyone here has dealt with this issue they might post there experience ! The Broken Tractor dudes seem to have a good handle on the part situation their selection is good but as far as info not so much on a lot of stuff! I don't have a service manual And there is very little on line u tube stuff! And what there is is in Spanish! Not helpful! 

Thanx in advance!

Broken tractor guys are a good bet. I use them alot for case backhoe stuff. I haven’t owned a K in many years. I did change master cylinder’s and slave cylinders on it and as I recall a major difference and mistake you can make is that some had brake fluid and some used mineral oil for fluid. The reason i had to change everything was because mine took mineral oil and I didn’t know it and i added dot 3 and it wrecked both masters and slaves. I don’t recall having any trouble bleeding but i don’t remember much about it as its been years ago. Im sorry im not more help. Coincidentally I changed master cylinder’s on my super m last month (got them from broken tractor). These draw hydraulic oil from the main hydraulic reservoir for the machine hydraulics. 
josh

A very knowledgeable place on older case equipment is Hagen tractor in broken arrow Oklahoma. Ask for Terry.  Hes a bit abrasive at times but he knows case backhoes better than case does. Inside and out. And he has lots of used and new parts and parts machines. 
josh

3 minutes ago, Macktruckman said:

I want to say I remember bleeding that k at the line out of the master cylinder but i just cant be sure. 
Josh

Well I ordered from Friday parts and got the wrong cylinders so I’m awaiting their return options! There are several options for this machine and it’s by serial number! I ordered 20000 vin or less and what came was wrong ,my vin is 16000 but I still need 20000 plus the difference is the bore size 7/8?vs 1 inch I need the one inch😡

I feel your pain.. The same thing happened to me with my KB-7 wheel cyls.. I got lucky, the seller sent me the right ones before I returned the wrong ones..  

If you don’t figure it out or need a different route. Hagen tractor is (918)-251-1851. Terry is the most knowledgeable guy on these that I know. If you get it straightened out and dont need him now save his number. Hes handy. Good luck with it. I looked and I don’t even have a book on a 580K around here. 
Josh. 

1 hour ago, Macktruckman said:

Ohhh i see. Its been 20 years since i worked on a K. I wish I could be more help. 
Josh

All Good my friends ! Thanx for chiming in ! if you guys think of anything more don't be strangers .The machine is down at this point till I get this sorted! The main issue to me is the lines coming in are on the top with a bend! upside down U shape so getting the air out may be a chore and apparently the bleeders are under the seat ! hoping I don't got to pull the seat! 🙄 😡

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

Am I thinking right is there bleeders on the slave cylinders on the top of the rear end transaxle?

Me thinks you’re correct !

makes sense! Very lodgical thought! We will see!

13 hours ago, Macktruckman said:

Now i just can’t remember for sure and i might be mistaken here but im thinking you might get access by taking a front part of the floor pan out and possibly not have to pull the seat? 
Josh

Well the Friday parts guys are refunding my cash as they could not confirm what cylinders are on here and are to expensive to send back pretty descent of them ! I did a little more research and was able to figure what cylinders are on there and ordered thru Amazon ! So if anyone needs some  Cylinders Brake Master Cylinder D141779 D136837 for Case Backhoe Loaders 580M 580K 580L 590  !

I got em!😁

Thanks Josh ! Ya  I can get the floor out real easy its a pc of stainless just chucked on the floor I'm suspecting some one already has been fighting with this issue before I bought the machine hence the stainless on the floor hopefully we can get to the bleeders from here looks tight and my fat old carcass ain't getting at them!  I have an eager young apprentice that is going to dive in there and give it a go when they get here next week I HOPE! 

Wish me luck that these ones are right ! 🙏  

And Joey thanx for the heads up ! I'm tryin to Deal with places I can get to with out to much political interference due to import fees and BS Im avoiding using sites I'm not familiar  With!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for Askin Joey!  Yup  finished up this morning  I got six hours of pottering on this project including the screw up with the first Cyls! My eager apprentice and my self  managed to get it bled down with one bleeder screw couldn't get to the right hand bleeder! Theres a jumper between the two cyls with a check valves in them had trouble getting the air out of that and resetting the rods on the clys so the oil wasn't trapped But  once we got those two issues  worked out things work as they should!😁 Stops on a dime now! Didn't realize how bad it stopped before till I got both sides working!🙄 Even  took time to replace the fan belt while the machine was down !was dreading that job too ! The drive coupler was seized to the pump managed to get that with my air hammer and some help from a neighbor on the end of a long pointy  bar!🤣The belt was almost as much as the cylinders up here ! 80 bucks! 140 for two Masters! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi there! Although I haven't worked alot on those particular brakes, only once or twice, I think changing the master cylinders is a good idea. Try gravity bleeding first, then manual bleeding with assistance if necessary. If required, pressure bleeding can aso be a possibility in your heavy equipment for sale. Even if the model is unusual, it's amazing that you were able to find the necessary pieces. Good luck, and don't hesitate to seek for assistance if you need it. I hope you get the answer to your query.