Older 2 valve head fire rings.

D is for diesel

I know the topic was touched on before but I'm not sure if it was ever answered. At least I haven't found it. I talked to our local machinist that had done work on macks years ago when they were very close to new especially the 2 valve e6 and older. He was saying he remembered a tool that was close to a counterbore cutter and would go into the valve guides and cut the fire rings on the head after flat decking. When the dealer sold the machine shop 20 years ago that tool either got tossed or found a new home and he hasn't seen one since.  Anyone happen to remember them or maybe have one? I like doing all my own work and wouldn't mind having one to finish a recondition a head.

• Like 1

Want to bump this us so it doesn't get lost in the weeds. Can't offer up anything except I've never seen fire rings cut into the sleeve/block, but since this is a dry sleeve engine maybe that doesn't work? 

Dale Francis is famous for doing E9 heads but I'm not sure if he messes with any of the other Mack engine heads. Someone here will know more. 

21 minutes ago, D is for diesel said:

The tool was for the rings cut in the head. The description he had was something that reminded me of a tool almost like a counterbore cutter for Detroit 60 series. 

We had this tool at our shop! it had two templets one for the v 8 one for the e six 2 valve and one for the 4 valve e six! I only did this job once or twice we gave the tool to the shop that did all our head work as they did all our valve seat repairs back when the v8 had seat issues and head plaining was a deal! think it is an kent moore  tool! the tool here is for Eteck  How ever very similar  Cylinder Head Inspection; Fire Ring Groove Cutting - Mack E-TECH SB-210-034 Service Manual [Page 201] | ManualsLib         fire ring groove cutter J 29600-C

• Like 1

yes there  was/is such a tool ,, Mack dealer back then had one for cutting fire ring grooves in the HEAD. did use it way back then. where it is or can find one ; can't help on that. same as bob(mowerman ) waiting for hyd hoses , things much different today. many dealers (HD truck) did majority of their own work . few items sent out. parts were ready available since most were interchangeable to other models. relined shoes. engines. drive trains rebuilt in house. 

• Like 1

part 2- AND  we made up our own cut to order with old or new ends  hyd/air/water  lines . from the small #4 to the large #12/16  aero-quipt  medium pressure hose .high pressure hose was far and few. used different fittings with outer sleeve cut down to braid before installing ends.

Yea that looks like what he described. I'll have to search and see if I can find one eventually. I actually work for a large fleet that might as well be a freightliner dealer. We do quite a bit in house and used to do more years ago.  See alot more fuel and aftertreatment problems compared to engine problems anymore

unfortunately finding the cutter or many of the machinist tools of days gone by slim chances. may have better chance of finding a pot of gold. have seen many cases  where when questioning such equipment has the same response== oh we got rid of that stuff to the scrap yard, didn't have anyone who knew how to run it !! or most resent is shop has new computer which takes up less space and doesn't need vacations doing  same job.

Mech,,  I have a box of old tools that may just have what you know to be a fire ring cutter..  this box is full of bars and pins and cutters.. I remember using some of it to check run-out on E-6 flywheels..   I have a full day tomorrow, but I hope I remember to spread the tools out and post pictures, and you can tell me what I have.   Good chance I will hi-jack this thread...  or may start an ''Old Tools'' thread..   Jojo

Sorry TJC,,,  still talking about 'me'., again...  :)