4LE-292 Turbo

Full Floater

I have a Borgwarner 4LE-292 Turbo on a stock and stock fueled 237.  The impeller has a few chunks missing out of it and i'd like to replace the turbo instead of just the compressor wheel, as it's probably due anyways.    I know this topic has probably been beat to death, but is there a current "better" option out there for bolt on turbos?  I don't want to alter any piping or anything, nor do I want to increase the fueling rate.  And im not looking to make more power.  Just curious if there is something out there that modern technology has refined, made more efficient etc..., that would be worth looking at.    Reliability and longevity are key....but if we can reduce exhaust smoke a bit and maybe squeeze half a mile per gallon out of it, that would be swell.

One thing of note that im finding as I internet search the 4LE-292 turbos.  It gets listed as a turbo for a 285, opposed for a 237 which comes up as a 4LE-303.   Any insight on this?

Edited by Full Floater

• 3 weeks later...

Put on a new Borg Warner 4le-292 from J&H Diesel in Greenville MS.   Not sure if this turbo that's listed for a 285 is too big of turbo for a 237 that has stock fueling, and its actually hurting performance, but I have nothing to compare it to and it seems to be running fine.