285 tip turbine engine

Ones a Maxidyne and the other is a Thermodyne normally 

Mind you Mack did make a series intercooled 300 Maxidyne that is also tip turbine

They only made these in the last year or two of tip turbine

Plenty myths and wives tales about these motors and today it's very hard for most people to sort tge grain from the straw when it comes to fact

Encase you didn't already know, a Maxidyne has a flat torque curve from say 1100 - 2100 rpm

A Thermodyne has a conventional torque curve frome say 1600 - 2100 rpm

Maxidyne normally have a 5 or 6 speed box were as a Thermodyne has a 10 or 12 speed

Paul

His was a maxidyne slow running,slow shifting, smoke like a freight train.  Had a 5 speed in it.  I can remember it having a sound all of its own as the boost pressure came up.   I always liked it better than the 237 the other one had in it but dad preferred the other truck I think primarily cause it had power steering.   What would have been the last year for the tip turbine engine 81-82???

• Like 1

Mid 80s at a guess, if searched around on the forum there would be the exact date it was made and could anything upto a couple of years after that before it was fitted to a truck, I guess a lot would depend on what part of the world the motor ended up in

Paul