United Technologies pump

1wonton

My '61 B model Mack (237 engine) has a United Technologies diesel pump, it seems to be governed at about 1500 rpm, can't get any higher than that.  How can I adjust the governor to allow higher engine speed?

Do you have a picture of the engine tag? Some models of engine were governed at reduced speed for fuel efficiency. Check the engine tag to see if it's one of those engines. I'm not sure about how to increase the speed but id be very weary of messing with the injection pumps on Mack engines. 

On 5/27/2023 at 7:51 PM, BOBWhite said:

Do you have a picture of the engine tag? Some models of engine were governed at reduced speed for fuel efficiency. Check the engine tag to see if it's one of those engines. I'm not sure about how to increase the speed but id be very weary of messing with the injection pumps on Mack engines. 

Wasn't that the ENDT-675R that was governed at something like 1,800 RPM?  

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Wasn't that the ENDT-675R that was governed at something like 1,800 RPM?  

Here is a chart of the later R reduced speed engine's so I would think it would be something similar:

BD5C1663-F5D9-4852-B1D2-D144192ACD32.thumb.jpeg.b57aebf4e61d334e578a6a12506bd72c.jpeg

I'm not sure what year they came out with the Reduced speed engines but 61 seems too early. Im thinking it could be something in the governor that's stopping the rack from going to full or maybe the shut off cable isn't adjusted right or isn't releasing all the way. Much speculation 

2 hours ago, 1wonton said:

The engine is a 673C, 250 hp; should I leave the governor alone?

That engine should NOT be governed at that RPM.  It should turn up to 2,100 or so.  There is definitely something amiss there.  I'm sure one of the gurus here will be able to help.

And, again, I sure miss Glenn.  He could tell you in half a heartbeat what it needed.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."