Maxitorque T2090 reverse issues

Ryon Hess

Question

17 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

How about going in to 1st.?  They share the same shift fork and sliding clutch.. 

Ok well that’s going to narrow the problem down. First is still basically fine along with all others. Gearbox is leaking out of cover though also and oil inside is probably getting low. Reverse is near impossible since yesterday. Last night had to cancel all loads for next week because without ability to back its a nightmare 😂

If you leave the clutch out, and ease it up toward reverse, can you get it to grind against the gear?

I am trying to separate "gears won't mesh" and "fork won't slide".

If you can't get it to grind, it's likely a fork/rod issue or the clutch not sliding on the shaft.  If it will grind easily, then maybe there is something wrong on the mating surfaces of the clutch and gear.

Or, I could be on drugs...

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Has the truck recently experienced a violent backlash in the drive train?? DCW makes good points.    You may need to pull the main shift cover and inspect the forks, and the set bolts in the forks...  I bet this truck is an, RD,RB,DM?? Which makes pulling the shift cover a half a day job..  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Has the truck recently experienced a violent backlash in the drive train?? DCW makes good points.    You may need to pull the main shift cover and inspect the forks, and the set bolts in the forks...  I bet this truck is an, RD,RB,DM?? Which makes pulling the shift cover a half a day job..  

Didn't I see you guys discussing forks slipping on the rods once upon a time?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

5 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

it’s actually an 85 MH613

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I may have said that on another post..  the reverse fork is operated by a lever in the shift cover that reverses the movement of the the fork to go into the reverse gear..  if I remember right, there is a shouldered bolt with a brass bushing. If that bolt gets loose, it can cause his issue.. he may be able to see it on top of the shift cover, by trying to go in to reverse, if that bolt is worn you can see it move around..  

thanks for info. Some solid leads here. 

5 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

If you leave the clutch out, and ease it up toward reverse, can you get it to grind against the gear?

I am trying to separate "gears won't mesh" and "fork won't slide".

If you can't get it to grind, it's likely a fork/rod issue or the clutch not sliding on the shaft.  If it will grind easily, then maybe there is something wrong on the mating surfaces of the clutch and gear.

Or, I could be on drugs...

Thanks a ton for sharing info

Man I'm glad it's an MH.. so you can tip the cab and jump right in . What's the chances the shift linkage is worn and doesn't travel far enough?  Gosh,  it's been so long since I worked on a cabover..    I wish I was there just to look at it...   

• Like 1

DCW,, I dont remember much about MH's..  I'm trying to remember the shifter shaft, and the shift cover on the tranny..  I would like to see pictures..  The 200 series has a shift cover that can be removed and it has the rails in it, unlike a 100 series where the rails go through the case's..  I do have the svc. manuals for this tranny..  i can post pic's if needed..  sure would like to build a couple more 100's and 200's, just to refresh my memory.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Man I'm glad it's an MH.. so you can tip the cab and jump right in . What's the chances the shift linkage is worn and doesn't travel far enough?  Gosh,  it's been so long since I worked on a cabover..    I wish I was there just to look at it...   

that sounds like first thing to check and fingers crossed most likely thing. Haven’t replaced shift linkage before. Easy to get replacement parts? I’m gonna message photos of truck because they aren’t uploading for some reason

• Like 1