07 CTP713 granite Mack

My ctp713 been shutting off at idle and while going down the road. Cranks up everytime after key is reset only if hours are showing. I noticed today it kept going backwards everytime it stalled out so I worked 12 hours but only showed I ran it like 5 hours. Sometimes it stalls out 8 times sometimes 1 or twice in a day some days none. But now it’s getting everyday. Any help is appreciated. It did it 2 years ago and stopped and has slowly started back. Nobody knows what it could be. Engine harness replaced and engine brake valve 

Well here I go again.  :)   check the ground wire connections. there is a pass-through in the center of the firewall all the grounds are gray wires..  good luck...  Jojo

I forgot to add, there are ground wires above the throttle pedal, to the left of the top fuse panel.. I'm rusty, you do have a fuse cover on top of the dash..  right??

Yes right under cb and above radio. Also one above the steering wheel adjuster foot pedal. So today it shut off 2x and ran 10 hours without cutting off. But I noticed hours were reading 12104 at 6am this morning then at 4pm it was reading like 12113 hours and like 30 minutes before it cut off it went back to 12104 after running 10 hours

IMG_1575.jpeg

I wonder if you now have a cluster issue..  Do you have a Volvo dealer that can re-program it or check it?  I have had to bring clusters to Volvo in the past as a 

Core' and install the newly flashed unit..  2007 VN  D-13..   many years ago..  I wonder if it is still the same process.. ??

I’m right here in central North Carolina. I’m about 60 miles from Greensboro and 60 miles from Raleigh. I’ll ask them. Thanks again Jojo. I know the instrument cluster doesn’t buzz like it used too but that’s been out for about 4 years 🤷🏻‍♂️

We have a Mack shop in Salisbury...  Transource.... The Greensboro store may be the one to help. They have a store in Raliegh, and Rocky Mount is A Volvo dealer..  I worked for them for 4 1/2 years...   

Yeah I’m closest to Fayetteville I’m in Cameron nc but have been taking trips to Greensboro here lately. So I’ll call and ask if they have cluster re flashed I guess. Supposed to be having a guy check the harness really good for broken or rubbing wires. I think he’s Mack tech as well. Thanks again 

• Like 1

Ok I check cluster and grounds. Didn’t see anything broken, I unplugged computer plugs with key turned on. I heard something sound like it spooled or turned like resetting when I plugged them back in. then got back in cab looked at hours and they were not blank and it fired right up no problem 🤔. I’m no mechanic but I’m thinking messed up harness or bad computer?????

Run it and if it happens again, try that same truck to see if it fixes it again..  the mother board in the cluster can fail..  You can get one through Volvo, and they will flash it for you based on the VIN.  Well, I had them done like that several years ago,  hopefully the same way today.. 

• Like 1

So it ran 30 minutes stalled out fired back up without unhooking computer. But immediately cut off but then fired back up ran an hour and half stalled out had to un hook computer to fire it up then cut off 2 more times now I’m home it’s been running in the yard for about an hour no stalling 🤷🏻‍♂️ . When I unhooked computer I hear something spin or like reset then it will fire up. So I should reflash the cluster or just try and find another computer?

Ok.. How about an over heating relay in the fuse panel..  Any chance you have an infrared thermometer to check relays?  Yes you can use your finger tips, but its faster to use the infrared gun..  

My mechanics switched some around about 2 years ago and it didn’t do it for 2 years. And it just started back about a month ago. I have moved relays around and completely swapped some out but it still does it. But maybe I’ll go buy a thermometer and check them out. Cuz I’d rather change relay than computer if that’s all it is. Hey I really appreciate all the help Jojo!

In response to your gratitude...  This web site is Amazing..  There are a lot of really smart guys on here that are willing to help..  I suggest you KEEP  this 'site' in your tool box..!!  Jojo

The dash cluster is not needed for the truck to run and drive. Drove several around the lot with cluster removed.,  The 04 emission MP7 in the CTP and CXP was a a little different as it was only made for only a little more than  a year. The wiring is a little different than the 2008 and up MP trucks. Power to the engine Ecm comes from the fuse panel by the clutch pedal.  Fuse 38  and wire # is F38A2. Power comes through the top connector on the outside of the fuse box , PIN number A . This connector is called the EPDME. It then goes through connector CIEC pin A , this is a 16 pin connector around the foot brake valve  area. This is the usual problem area. With the engine running. Shake and twist this connector. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mackpro so I’ll take the covers off of the panel there at the pedals shake those wires and check on the firewall plugs too. I replaced ECM and Ignition relay today beside clutch pedal. Cut off 2times all day today and sputter one time like it was gonna cut off. Hours were 12111 when it cut off when I cranked it back up it was at 12107🤷🏻‍♂️