MP8 oil cooler

May be a dumb question, but where is the oil cooler located on a 2013 MP8? my oil temp doesn't seem to correlate to my engine temp like I'm told it should, I know there not an exact correlation but I've been told usually around 10 degrees  but my oil temp seems to climb (particularly if I'm climbing a long grade) I try not to let it get too high (but it has almost reached 230 before i caught it) I can manually turn the fan on and keep it on till the temp returns to normal, but the oil temp climbing to 225 while the coolant temp is around 200 seems a bit of a gap, good conditions my oil temp is usually around 208. I've looked around for your typical oil cooler radiator looking thingy but there is none to be found, doesn't appear to be a transmission cooler either (trans temp has always been good I've had no problems there) but it still leaves the question, Where does the oil get cooled? there are stick like radiators for the power steering but nothing for the oil? 

Am I missing something or am I just being paranoid? Both are highly probable.

2013 Mack CHU 613 MP8 505

2 hours ago, Walkyrie_Engineering said:

naturally, it seems i am doomed to repetitively tearing that side of my engine apart. is there a way to add an external oil cooler for efficiency sake?

that side is where all the magic happens 

• Like 1

On your oil filter stand there are 2 different oil control solenoids that control  oil to the piston cooling nozzles and the oil temperature. The engine ECM controls these solinoids.  No exact data on actual temps they are trying to achieve though. But 250 degrees in the summer is common. You always want your oil temp at least over 212 to boil off water /condensation. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Those solenoids are know to be issues too. Not saying you have an issue from what I see though. 

From what I have observed  Correct me if I'm wrong ! the temps are monitored by the ECU if there were an issue it would show on the dash!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:44 PM, Onyx610 said:

Isn’t your truck deleted?

I appreciate all the feedback,  yes this truck is deleted, and I see I have been a little more on the paranoid side I wasn't sure what was normal for the MP8 temperature wise, but if it seems to be within normal operating conditions then I can relax a bit. As you may know I just had to replace the head on this truck, and would like to avoid  doing such again any time soon🙃

4 hours ago, Walkyrie_Engineering said:

I appreciate all the feedback,  yes this truck is deleted, and I see I have been a little more on the paranoid side I wasn't sure what was normal for the MP8 temperature wise, but if it seems to be within normal operating conditions then I can relax a bit. As you may know I just had to replace the head on this truck, and would like to avoid  doing such again any time soon🙃

Valve troubles? I've got 1 down and 1 just back from mack for cracked exhaust valves.

17 minutes ago, Walkyrie_Engineering said:

Yeah I had the # 5 cylinder exhaust valve get a big chip missing... funny I never found the chip

It went out the other side. Any damage to the turbine? You say deleted so it didn't smash into the DOC, or go back through the intake via the EGR

Both of our failures are on cylinder #5 too

Edited by mdixon

1 hour ago, mdixon said:

It went out the other side. Any damage to the turbine? You say deleted so it didn't smash into the DOC, or go back through the intake via the EGR

That is weird the last truck we had at our shop dropped a piece ended up taking out the piston, liner , head and turbo! No# 5  and one other #5 seen it happen to other cyls as well don't think its Cyl Selective! just shit happens! I do however think it is worse if engines are deleted and don't get programed correctly for the delete ! I have seen a half dosen ISX heads ruined by it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, mdixon said:

The turbo did start leaking oil I ended up replacing it in this debacle 

On 12/2/2022 at 4:27 PM, fjh said:

That is weird the last truck we had at our shop dropped a piece ended up taking out the piston, liner , head and turbo! No# 5  and one other #5 seen it happen to other cyls as well don't think its Cyl Selective! just shit happens! I do however think it is worse if engines are deleted and don't get programed correctly for the delete ! I have seen a half dosen ISX heads ruined by it!

I have seen a lot of correlation to the #5 cylinder from other people. I wonder if there's a specific reason or if it's just a strange coincidence 

On 12/14/2022 at 10:35 AM, Walkyrie_Engineering said:

I have seen a lot of correlation to the #5 cylinder from other people. I wonder if there's a specific reason or if it's just a strange coincidence 

I'd bet it's from the direct exit into the egr valve, high speed gas burning the valve on the way out, or some kind of supersonic cavitation from the pressure difference in that spot in the manifold.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 8:52 PM, mdixon said:

I'd bet it's from the direct exit into the egr valve, high speed gas burning the valve on the way out, or some kind of supersonic cavitation from the pressure difference in that spot in the manifold.

That does make sense, I wonder if a redesign of the manifold would fix this. Or maybe some kind of baffle plate like thing to go between the manifold and egr valve