Which is best?

Sctt67
Go to solution Solved by mechohaulic,

Ok... this my opinion as a so-so driver of both, and a mechanic..  The 12 spd. is one of my favorites,  you can split the gears how you want and you have multi spd. PTO options, and multi spd. reverse..  and the low range's are great..   Now the 310 MLR..  it has multi speed reverse and you can shift it like an 8LL pattern. I dont know about a neutralizer for multi speed PTO's..  I don't remember..  The 310MLR, is still around and parts are readily available. It IS an expensive tranny to fix, but it IS a great tranny..  typically the synchro goes bad if the air system on the tranny is not maintained..  ie: lubed and new o-ring kits periodically,  and a shuttle valve here and there..  OK,  so there is my take...  Let's see what the Dog Pound say's...   :)   Jojo

mech..  It is a 300 series Mack transmission.  It came at around 2000, I could be off a year or 2..  It looks like a 200 series tranny from the outside to some extent..  The reverse idlers are in the back box instead of in the main box..  it has a similar shift pattern to an 8LL,  however..  there is a yellow button on the left side of the stick to select forward or reverse..  It is actually a decent set-up..  You can still grab 4 or 5 gears in reverse..  When  you are driving in lower gears on the job site, you can literally leave the stick in a low forward gear , stop,,  clutch in,,  flip the button,, and now you re in reverse...   and you can back up without moving the stick..  heck, there is probably a bunch of way's to use this tranny...  

• Thanks 1