EM6-300 head studs

Johnny93

ok, in a bit I will try to find the part number..  im building one and have 40 new ones.  the nuts and washers were an issue for me, so i blasted them and they are in good shape..   jojo

studs... i cant post any more pics,  otherwise you would have seen the package I have..  the nuts may be an issue..  so clean yours really good for re-use,  the thick washers may be found a bolt supplier... jojo

I haven’t pulled the valve covers to find out if it’s 2 valve or 4 valve yet, it’s a 1984 EM6-300  it looks like factory it had head bolts so I will need studs, washers and nuts. I would definitely like to put studs in it when it goes back together if I can get some. So far every website I’ve found and called they only have a few on hand, none of them have 40 bolts in stock.

Edited by Johnny93

I’ve just always put studs in all my Diesel engines to help keep from blowing head gaskets. According to the odometer this engine has over 660,000 miles on it, I’m worried about the head bolts stretching with all the heat cycles they’ve had on them. The truck currently has a blown head gasket on the front head.

I do not know of a stud kit for the 4 Valve, not saying there isnt one, just dont know..   Mack did a good job with head studs and re-use was ok.. torque to 205- 210.  you should be good..   I expect other opinions to show up here, but I bet i'm pretty close..  jojo

I seen a couple different posts stating some information about how to tell the difference  between 2 valve and 4 valve engines, I’ll copy and paste the posts I seen.

“The 2 valves have external injectors seen on the drivers side of the head
The 4 valves have the injector lines that screw into the head on the pass side.”

“Steel valve covers 2 valve aluminum valve covers 4 valve.”

I’m not sure how true those statements are but with that being said, my engine has the injectors exposed on the drivers side and it has steel valve covers. So I’m pretty sure it’s a 2 valve engine

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Awesome, thank you for confirming that Joey. There isn’t much info about these old trucks on the internet and the shops/dealerships around here have been zero help so I appreciate all the information and help I have received on here more than you all know! 

its all good Man... I am not the sharpest tool in the shop, but I do try to help when I can..  are you willing to post where you are?  no biggie, if not..   for the sake of privacy, you can P.M. me..  jojo