2002 Mack CX613 , Just bought at auction

I just bought a 2002 Cx613 with a small/low sleeper. I wanted a day cab but they all sold for a lot. I got this one for $5000. It's a little ragged out, but a weekend with it will cure most of the issues I can see. They said it hadnt ran in almost 2 years. I got in it and hit the key, it cranked about 4 revolutions and she popped off. Ran about 20 seconds and died. Started right back up and continued to run. They dont let you run the vehicles long at these auctions. I didnt even get to see the engine Because it was so close to the fence and couldn't open the hood.  I don't even know what engine is in it!  I'm surprized they even let me start it. I don't usually buy stuff like this and them dam auctions move so quick, I had a whole 15 seconds to think about it, and I just said what the hell.   It needs a GOOD cleaning. And a major service. I dont know what else I'm going to find once I get it home, I just hope I lucked out. I just need it to drag around a old lowboy, locally. Not hitting the big road with it. I've been looking for a tractor for a while and this is the cheapest one I could find. Been here before though, and the cheap tractor could turn into the money pit. Keepin my fingers crossed. Weird thing was, when the truck was running I looked at the mileage and it said 180,000. And I'm thinking, theres no way, this truck could only have 180000 on the clock. Maybe the dash was changed. But anyways, I just signed up on the site and will probably be picking your brains in the coming months. Oh yea, Something I did notice, the rear rear was leaking oil from the forward facing round plate/cover . I'm sure it just needs a reseal......I can do that. worse comes to worse, I'll just part it out and get my money back, I just hope it's useable. It needs tires, radio is missing, hood latch on one side is missing, sleeper storage doors need new locks, left windshield is cracked, 3 batteries, and we will se where that brings us to. Maybe a paint job if it's worth painting. Anybody that know these trucks is welcome to throw some advice at me at anytime, I appreciate the help.

Edited by tompands
  • Like 1

Called Mack in Orlando today and gave my VIN. He told me this truck has a E7 427 E-tech engine, which means absolutely nothing to me. An Eaton Fuller 10 speed is behind it with 3.86 gears hitting the ground. Alright Mack boys, is this a good set up or not?

• Like 2

427 is a good engine. especially with the 10 speed. the 3.86 gears will make it a bit of a pooch on take off and low speed hills, but it will be a runner once in high gear on the road. 

my 05 granite with 427 and 78 speed with 4.27 gears was horrible low speed off road, but would do 90 if i let it. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..