Mack trident mp8-500 injector cups

Ausmack1

Hello new to the forum I have been watching videos of the injector cup replacement on the volvo d13 mp8 and notice they use a graphite paste on the injector while I think in Australia they use a washer. Do u need to use paste aswell as the washer? Which way is better?

yes you do...  if you have copper cup's, the new kit will come with conicle cups and the injectors will have conicle seats..  do you have the Swagging tool to remove and install the cups?  jojo

you need to use a long 8mmx1.25 tap coated with grease to cut threads into the old cup then use a slide hammer to remove it.  any loose threads that fall into the cylinder are expected to be burned up and spit out. there are 2 long wire brushes and a long stemed tool that accept's  rollloc' brisstlebrush to clean the bores. there are also plastic cups to put in the injector bores to keep any debris including bristtles from the brushes from getting into the fuel galleries..  my point is...  if you have not studied this procedure and do not have the tools to do it right.... you need to stop! do I need to continue with the whole procedure to remove/ and re-install the cam, and then the valve adjustment procedure?  Jojo

• Like 1

Thank you Joey for the information.  I have bought all the proper volvo tools to do the job I am a qualified motor mechanic but I have never done cups on a mack before I wanted as much information as I could get before I start the job. What sealant do you use for the cups I have read that loctite 620 is good ? And the graphite past where would be the best to buy that?

yes and there is a primer that goes on the cups before install.  Its good that you have the skills..  and the tools..  if you have access to 'Impact' you can print the book.. I did some years ago..  I myself stay away from these jobs in my business, because I do not feel comfy doing them outside of the dealership. and without PTT to check my work when its done... jojo

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

yes and there is a primer that goes on the cups before install.  Its good that you have the skills..  and the tools..  if you have access to 'Impact' you can print the book.. I did some years ago..  I myself stay away from these jobs in my business, because I do not feel comfy doing them outside of the dealership. and without PTT to check my work when its done... jojo

Joe smart on your part!

Agreed these people change their minds like you and I change socks as far as specs and instructions go ! Its like mechanical   Covid An on going ever changing Volvo osis  Disease!😡 Another very large experiment with the public ! They may find a cure one day however ..................  they may have to hire pfryzer to fix it for them!

Edited by fjh
  • Haha 1