2004 cx613 fan won't disengage

Larry H

Question

Pretty sure it has locked up and needs replaced. Will not release at all anyone have the part number for it? It's got the behr style clutch on it electric no air.  Thanks for any help it's like driving a tornado down the road and it's killing what little bit of fuel mileage I get.

6 answers to this question

That style fan never totally freewheels like a air fan. It should always have some resistance. However if it is locked solid and if the only way to spin the fan is by slipping the pulley on the belt , then the fan clutch is definitely bad.  If you can still turn the fan without slipping the fan belt then it’s possible other issues causing the fan to stay engaged. I’ll see if I can attach a bulletin later on troubleshooting. There are two part numbers one for the ASET AI engine and one for the AC engine. They both look the exact same and will bolt up but won’t work correctly if the right part number is used. Also a bad engine harness, coolant in engine ECM , bad AC high pressure switch and over charged AC system can cause fan to never disengage . 

• Thanks 1

I have the ac 427, so if I unhook the connector and supply power to pin 5 and ground it it should disengage itself if still good? It's locked up to where it slips the belt pretty sure it's shot but I'll try testing it thanks mackpro I appreciate the diagnostic procedure.