What's the general opinion on the AI-350 engine paired with an Allison auto

giannid

So I'm looking to build a single axle automatic dump truck.  It's been challenging to find experienced drivers for my small construction company.  I've got a trustworthy guy that wants to get his CDL and I think a single axle automatic dump truck would be great to start him on.  A local guy has a few decommissioned USPS 2007 MR688 tractors that I'm thinking about converting to a small dump truck.

These trucks are equipped with the AI-350 and Allison Auto transmission.  I already talked to my upfitter about putting a dump body on one and the price is something I could handle.  This would be my oldest dump truck on the road and think that might be a good thing as I understand they have minimal emissions systems.

So what's the opinion on this truck with this engine and transmission model?  Tried a search on the forum but it seems like there's some sort of glitch.

Hello, so the ASET-I is the better engine of the 2 because of the reduced amount of junk bolted to it.. A well maintained A-I will give you good service with out EGR and Turbo issues..  Glad it has an Allison,  It will be an agile little truck, and probably perfect for small loads, especially if you  are doing deliveries to home owners. For example, landscape materials supplier..  Just my opinion..  jojo

Radiator doesn't have a hole in it and the transmission isn't the Allison RDS style with the PTO gear.  My upfitter says it's going to be about $4000 to have the trans removed, new PTO gear installed and new housing for the PTO to be bolted to.  The guy selling the trucks has the radiator with the hole in it and pumps to mount to the crank pulley if I want them in used parts.  I figured I'd go with the tranny conversion option.  The trucks are priced good enough where I can put that $4 k into them and still worthwhile.  The trucks came from Florida so very clean rust wise.  They seem like they need some paint and cleaning up though.  Doesn't seem like the USPS keeps their equipment primp.

Well, it is great to hear that you have the funds to build this truck, the way you want it..  Good luck,  and I bet it will be great truck..  A friend of mine has one for sale but I cant afford the $15,000.00 price tag.. I like his because its all there and solid..  E-7/ Allison 5 or 6 spd..  i forgot.. it would be a heck of a camper puller...  jojo

Is your Allison a 3000 or 4000 5 speed by chance? I found a small company who can unlock 6th gear if locked out, and modify shift points to suit needs. Btw if it’s a 4000 series, they are stouter than some give credit for, we transport our excavator @ 82k regularly with 400hp, wish it had more umph, but does good.

Edited by Bigjohn4300
Afterthought

2 hours ago, Bigjohn4300 said:

Is your Allison a 3000 or 4000 5 speed by chance? I found a small company who can unlock 6th gear if locked out, and modify shift points to suit needs. Btw if it’s a 4000 series, they are stouter than some give credit for, we transport our excavator @ 82k regularly with 400hp, wish it had more umph, but does good.

I'm pretty sure it's a 4000 from what I can tell.  I'm going to have to verify what it is so I can make sure I can get the gear put in it for the PTO.  I though they were all 6 speeds.  Not sure what you mean by locked out.  These were road tractors so I'm sure if they had a sixth gear, they would want to utilize it for fuel mileage.

I'm curious how to find out if it's a five speed and the procedure for modifying and unlocking the extra gear if it needs it.

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Well, it is great to hear that you have the funds to build this truck, the way you want it..  Good luck,  and I bet it will be great truck..  A friend of mine has one for sale but I cant afford the $15,000.00 price tag.. I like his because its all there and solid..  E-7/ Allison 5 or 6 spd..  i forgot.. it would be a heck of a camper puller...  jojo

What's your friend have for sale?  I'd be more interested in a MR with the E7.  Those were the best before the emissions crap arrived.

• 3 weeks later...

I am assuming this is a push button shift Allison, if so, when engine is running the shifter should display either a 5 or a 6, indicating how many gears it has available. The 5 speed and 6 speed are the same trans in the 4000 series line, to the best of my knowledge(mine was), with the 6 speed a higher cost option (I was told that in 04 it was a $2000 ish option for about 9 more mph available with 464 rears, OR 150 less rpm at 55)