I was wondering what anyone's opinion about the scales are. I have not been stopping when I am bobtailing, but if I put a flat on it I a debating what might happen when I fly past them. I do not haul for hire just personal stuff.

Well it depends on your state. If the sign says ALL TRUCKS, COMMERCIAL VEHICLES then you may want to just roll in there. They can get picky on there use of the word truck. They'll probly just wave you through and give you a thumbs up on you truck. Also if you put on you truck not for hire that would help you out too. Don't take a chance on going by, if the lights are flashing you r best bet is to go into the chicken coop,Tim

Well Fireman... I would go through the scale even Bobtailing just so I wouldn"t have one of those creeper cops chasing me down the road.

I was Bobtailing from Dallas to NH about a year ago and I went into the scale and the red light came on...... Bring your paper work inside....

The scale master was looking for trouble I think but he couldn't do anything because truck was not for hire and just in transit.

I always hit the scales. I've only been pulled once, and she checked my registration, license and apologized for holding me up. I exited stage right.....quickly!! LOL!!

Been four years and usually get a thumbs up, smile/wave, or completely ignored. It's always better to be ignored....then CHASED DOWN and yelled at!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If you are a mile or 2 from the state line I just go by and hammer down (bob tailing) if its in the middle of a state I stop.

one and only time I stopped (bob tailing) I got dragged in and had to pay a $300 fine for a bad front tire and one of the slack adjusters being barely out of adjustment...this was an hour after I bought the truck. I almost went past the scale but I did not know how far the state line was?? the scale master looked at all my paperwork, log book,temp registration, insurance, and all was in check..I explaind I had just bought it gave it a quick lube and service and was on my way home. He did not care to much and was obviously looking for something wrong so he went out to the truck and gave it a full inspection. thats when he found the tire. he looked around the whole tire untill he found the spot that could fail me. Had to adj the brake 3/4 of a turn and get the tire changed before I left his scale. As the front tire (recap!!!) was going on the truck he left in his car. the truck repair guy(scale masters friend) tried chargeing me for a tire disposal. but I told him I would take care of it. now $400 later my truck was in no better shape than before.. as the tire guy left I smeared that front tire with 5th wheel grease and left it on the scale house door as a thank you present.

Im a nice guy but we all know Jerks get what they deserve.. ;)

most of the scales I have been pulled into hauling for the company have been in and out with nice people to deal with. Except for CA!..

end of rant

Trent

I always hit the scales. I've only been pulled once, and she checked my registration, license and apologized for holding me up. I exited stage right.....quickly!! LOL!!

Been four years and usually get a thumbs up, smile/wave, or completely ignored. It's always better to be ignored....then CHASED DOWN and yelled at!

Once the local boys in your area know you, you shouldn't have any problems. The'll see your not running junk and wave you through after the first time. I don't take my big dog out of state and in Vermont they're very strict on trucks and they have never crawled under mine and it's a "92",Tim

I agree it depends on the state. Anyone familair with Virginia will know that our scales are just about always open. On a 1 1/2 ton or larger truck, I would just stop. But I wasn't sure about my 1 ton. I called once to ask and got a vague answer, but he basically said, if the 1 ton is visibly empty, it would be my choice to stop or not, but most likely it would be OK (But no gaurentee!). But if the truck is loaded or looks like it may be anywhere near the Max GVW, he recommended me to stop.

If I were running a tractor with and empty flat, in Virginia, I would definitely stop.