brake pedal valve

BACKinMACK

Replacing my E6 brake pedal valve. Didn't go with the $45. valve/pedal aftermarket that is available. Brakes are too important. Plus its not in a location that I want to visit twice. So I found a new all Bendix setup that is old inventory open box. Not sure how long it has been on the shelf. Any advise as to whether I should tear it down and lube the o-rings. Or is it built for extended shelf life. Any advise would be welcome. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, mechohaulic said:

top plunger works, i would squirt some air tool oil in the ports . new /old stock should be just as safe. shelf item not in open box subject to dirt and dust ?? . there's not alot in the valve ; o-rings/ plunger plates (flat rubber)

Thank you for the tips.

• 1 month later...

I have an air leak on my 1972 CF-600. I found a few loose fitting today and tightened them up. It got better and I thought I had it figured out but still had a slight leak. I figured good enough. My son walks by and says you have an air leak. No shi_ Sherlock. He says I can hear it. It's coming from the drivers side under the cab. I've been trying to track down the leak for a few months. He crawls under the truck and in less then 5 seconds says what's this. I take look and it turns out to be the Foot Brake Air Valve is leaking. The valve and around it was filthy. I spayed it with WD-40 and cleaned around it the best I could. Still leak. 

My question is, are Foot Brake Valves rebuildable or do you just replace them? Looks like it could be rebuilt. It's not in a good or easy spot to get to. I don't want to do it once let alone twice.

20211120_152425.jpg

Edited by tenfive0

Mack 11E.jpg

Cartridge kits used to be available for the old single circuit and early dual circuit foot valve but I have not looked for one in a long time should be able to get the complete valve easy enough

I've been doing some searching around on the internet. I found lots of choices for complete (new) valves. Just as well replace the valve completely. It is going to be a PITA (wrestling match) to get the faulty valve out. I don't want to do it at all but if I have to do I don't want to do it twice.

Question: was there a standard (part number) valve Mack used on their air brake system?

Edited by tenfive0

Mack 11E.jpg

Get to know Bendix!

It might be an E2 or E3, if it's a single circuit.  I THINK the difference is that the E2 is linear, and the E3 has a light initial pedal that then requires more pressure to go over a certain PSI.  But, I may be mis-remembering.  Actually, that is correct.  See the "Treadle Valves" attachment.

Usually, part of the floor comes out to allow access.  But yes...it is typically a PITA.

E-2.pdfE-3.pdfTreadle Valves.pdf

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Looking at your pics, I can't tell if your floor comes apart or not.  If not, that makes it more of a pain.

My R600 had the "all hose" option, so it had rubber hoses with braided covers everywhere.  When I changed the foot valve, I took that opportunity to swap everything over to DOT tubing and compression fittings.  Looked a whole lot cleaner after I did that.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

The floor DOES NOT come apart. It is going to be a mess. It looks like I am going to have to be a contortionist AGAIN to work on the truck. The valve will have to drop out the bottom.

Nothing but fun owning a CF-600 Cab. Everything was assembled around everything else in the way. I haven't found anything that can't be done but nothing is done the easy way.

I'll have to get the valve out the bottom from under the cab to at least see or get an idea what's going on. I've already done a lot of rust repairs to the floor on the truck when I installed an air seat. I might do some more hacking and cut in the area around the valve when I get it out to make it easier to reassemble and to gain access later if the valve ever needs to be replaced again . Do you know anyone who can weld?  

Thanks for the help.

Edited by tenfive0

Mack 11E.jpg