2012 Pinnacle Won’t Crank

Anyone know why on a 2012 Pinnacle with MP8 /  Mdrive went to crank it and it turned over few times but let off the key, turned off, then back on, and now it won’t turn over. Checked fuses, fuseable link, disconnected battery cables, filled truck with air, and still won’t turn over.  Any suggestions?  

so when you turn the key, the starter doesnt engage? or does it turn over but not 'fire'? theres so many things that can cause this,,, chaffed wires on the tranny harness, fault codes, PTO issues,  too many sensors!! can you plug in and test/ read codes/ etc.? good contact at the starter? jojo

Starter not engaging. Doesn’t turn over. Doesn’t even try to.  Only hear the relay click in the upper dash fuse panel.  It threw several codes. Called Mack dealer and said it has zero communication with one of the ECMs. I attached pics of the codes. They said the FMI 9 code means zero communication.  

14051E8B-0837-40F2-911B-65E55C40CCF0.jpeg

AE02AC4A-96D1-46E9-A3B8-50533A6DE379.jpeg

Since you haven’t had any recent repairs and don’t have PTT. I would suggest starting to look at modules connectors, pins, and harness’s for a start. Also the VECU is programmed to perform several functions including starter control and ignition key switch. Hopefully some more guys that have a lot more knowledge on this will have some input for you. Joey is one of them. 

• Like 1

there should be a "Fuse link" in the batt. box.... its a short/seperate cable that goes to the frame. it's aground breaker...  I'm pretty sure I'm right, they will dissable the truck when they fail.  

Yes sir the dealer had me check this Friday when I was on phone with them. They didn’t have a mechanic to send me so he was helping me best he could. We checked the fuse link in batt box by bypassing it with jumper cables. It was still good. 

Has anyone suggested a new gear selector assembly, I have replaced a few of them.... truth is, when i did that, its was a guess and twice it didnt work..  any chance you have another truck or a friends truck that you pop the selector out and test yours??? long shot.... These are tough issues to fix without P.T.T.   As a mechanic it Chaps my Ass....  stay with us and the answer will come. Jojo

Man I don’t know anyone else local that has mdrive that would let me try it.  I planned to call dealer back in morning and see if they can have Mech run out and plug into it.  They said it would have to be at dealership to flash so may have to have it towed 😕

Mack guy came out. Turns out it is the engine ecm. Had little oil at plug from a leak that got in the harness they said. Called wicking effect. Apparently it’s so common they have a term for it!  Put a test ecm on it, cranked up, drove it to dealer to get a reman installed and fix leak.  Thanks for all the help!  I’ll be back at some point im sure!

• Like 1