Turbo oil leak

I have a 2014 Mack cxu613 with the mp8 

yesterday I noticed white smoke coming out the exhaust stack. After a little while of running oil was all dripped out in my exhaust behind my turbo . So I stopped checked oil and yes was about a gallon short . I took off turbo today but it seems like it doesn’t have play inside of the fins can it still be messed up I also looked inside the exhaust manifold for leaks and dint see any just looks a little black but no dripping oil or soot build up . like the exhaust pipes behind the turbo . Trying to see if it is the turbo don’t want to change it unless it’s done . 

since the turbo is liquid cooled, can you remove the turbo exhaust pipe and the output, and pressure test the cooling system to see if coolant is leaking into the turbo?  has the coolant level dropped ?  Just curious, jojo

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

since the turbo is liquid cooled, can you remove the turbo exhaust pipe and the output, and pressure test the cooling system to see if coolant is leaking into the turbo?  has the coolant level dropped ?  Just curious, jojo

No the coolant was fine dint  drop , but I did 

have to add oil which is what I have leaked out all behind turbo . A couple of people told me your turbo is done . But after talking to a turbo shop here in Houston on the phone . He said it  can be a couple of things . I dint have a check engine light when this happened also dint lose power . If it was coolant leaking why would the oil come out? First truck just trying to learn . To pressure test I would have to put everything back together and refill with coolant . 

12 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Usually white smoke is coolant…Check for restriction in oil return line. This may turn out to be pretty expensive being you got oil in the after treatment system. 

Where is that line located or to what does it tie up too. . And yes oil did get all in the after treatment system will see  how it goes . If it gets pretty nasty with the after treatment system . Probably going to delete. Don’t want to because I haven’t had issues with it but will see. 

14 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Any update? Should have been one on the bottom of the turbo

Theirs no kinks on it it’s a metal tube . Do you think I would have to disconnect it to make sure theirs nothing blocking it inside? Just saying the only way to get it out is getting egr out . 

Typically when a healthy turbo leaks oil is when it’s been idled too long and oil leaks past the sealing ring because it’s not Slinging oil, it has coking of the oil inside on the ring, or the drain tube is blocked causing oil to back up and push out. That’s if it’s the turbo leaking. From what you stated your positive it’s the turbo. 

6 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Typically when a healthy turbo leaks oil is when it’s been idled too long and oil leaks past the sealing ring because it’s not Slinging oil, it has coking of the oil inside on the ring, or the drain tube is blocked causing oil to back up and push out. That’s if it’s the turbo leaking. From what you stated your positive it’s the turbo. 

Also make Sure the air filter is clean Check the simple stuff first turbos arn't cheap these days! and you can open up a can of worms changing one with broken studs 7th injector bolts etc.!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fjh said:

Also make Sure the air filter is clean Check the simple stuff first turbos arn't cheap these days! and you can open up a can of worms changing one with broken studs 7th injector bolts etc.!

I just got this truck i had it in west Texas . And apparently air filter It never got changed or cleaned . just checked the air filter and it’s clogged with dust and dirt . Do you think that could of messed up the turbo charger . Do you think once the oil leaks out seal is bad or just putting the filter will make it work . 

1 minute ago, Rsc1717 said:

I just got this truck i had it in west Texas . And apparently air filter It never got changed or cleaned . just checked the air filter and it’s clogged with dust and dirt . Do you think that could of messed up the turbo charger . Do you think once the oil leaks out seal is bad or just putting the filter will make it work . 

Trying it tomorrow morning and running it . 

The seal is typically like a piston ring, just a metal ring. So it’s fine if oil went past it. If you have lots of shaft play then that’s a different story. Especially lateral play. Yes a dirty air cleaner can screw up a turbo charger. Best way to tell is to look at the compressor wheel for pitting/chips on the blades. That’s about all that can happen to the turbo with a dirty air cleaner. 

On 7/20/2021 at 4:36 AM, Onyx610 said:

The seal is typically like a piston ring, just a metal ring. So it’s fine if oil went past it. If you have lots of shaft play then that’s a different story. Especially lateral play. Yes a dirty air cleaner can screw up a turbo charger. Best way to tell is to look at the compressor wheel for pitting/chips on the blades. That’s about all that can happen to the turbo with a dirty air cleaner. 

The turbo is good doesn’t have any play . I did take it off. Their didn’t seem to be any oil in exhaust manifold or something that would indicate oil coming that way . Question do you think a clogged air filter would cause oil to come out thru back of turbo . The return line I did take it off from the bottom of turbo and seemed fine, couldn’t get to it on block side of motor I would of have to take off egr. The crank case ventilation took it off and seemed fine . Got everything back on today I’m going to run it and see. 

No a dirty air filter would not cause oil to come out of the turbo, not that I have ever come across anyway…you would def have a loss of power and poor mpg. Let us know what happens. 

On 7/30/2021 at 6:32 PM, Onyx610 said:

Well I guess a dirty air cleaner can cause that haha, good to know. Glad it was just that. A lot of your time but much cheaper. Thanks for sharing! 

Yes a lot of my time and yes thank god cheaper.