PAI thermostat

R.E.D

I'm installing the dual thermostats on the granite .I got Pai thermostats .they seem to have like metal spacer that goes between the thermostat housing and the thermostat? Does this sound right?does it go on the thermostat housing?rubber seal looks thinner than the stock one, but it could the old one is thicker because of age.i installed with said spacer and it pours the coolant out . pleased advice.

Also if that spacer is not used the seal is lower than the deck.with the spacer, seal is above of the deck.

Red

Edited by R.E.D

I’m assuming what you mean by the spacer ,you mean the thermostat seal.... that will go in the housing and the thermostat bodies will pilot inside the seal.....did you take out the old seals before attempting to install the new thermostats? 

Edited by MACKX
English correction

Yes sir..new seals are in ..I figured it out , it seems like the thermostat housing is pitted from cavitation and it would not seal...I know silicone is not to be used ,but I put just a dab to fill up the pits in the thermostat housing and it seems to be holding pressure. I will let it cure overnight and I will update in the morning.

I see what your saying now........ can’t honestly say Ive used a PAI thermostat , always use Mack thermostats, hopefully it sets up and holds , gotta do what you gotta do till you can buy a housing... can always try permatex aviation form a gasket also if the pitting isn’t really bad ... that has got me thru a couple pinches till I could get parts on customers trucks and equipment 

Did you use new coolant!?  hope so the pitting is likely  caused by poor Coolant the additives are used up in the old coolant! You best to use premix 50/50 coolants as you don't know what is in the water your mixing with straight coolant! interesting read here!

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/nitrite-free-coolants-rise-due-more-aluminum-engines