HELP

mbsoutherly

ive only been a diesel tech a short time. ive recently acquired the task of completing a job the previous tech started and walked out on. he had already removed the rear flywheel housing and timing gears on an MP-7 GU model Mack. im tasked with putting it all back together. how can i get the motor to TDC with no timing gears?

i guess you need to use a dial indicator on no. 1. roll it up to find T.D.C... i cant remember if the dowel on the rear crank hub is a reference point.... ask Vmac3, or FJH.  on this forum.. Jojo

• Like 1

Before you do anything make sure the cam damper and gear is off and the rocker shaft is off. Set the camshaft to TDC. You will see the TDC mark on the cam, line it up with the hash marks on the  #7 bearing cap. The crankshaft has 2 dots that face the 12 o'clock position and the double idler gear has 1 dot that sits between the 2 two dots of the crank at the 6 o'clock position. Once you have done that then adjustable idler gear goes on. Once you have done that put the cam gear on and verify that it is at TDC.

This part is very critical otherwise the engine is going fail real fast. Make sure you set the gear backlash to .004" between the adjustable idler and the camshaft gear. Once that is set verify thast it is still at TDC. If it is then you are good to go. Put the flywheel housing on. Follow the PDF that I attached and your good to go.

V

Timing Gear Replacement. MP7.pdf

Thank you chiming in... It's been 2+ years since I did a rear gear train repair, and it was on an MP-7. I pulled the engine at the time beacause the cust. wanted rod and main bearings and an engine harness. The chassis was a GU-813 with an allison... anyway thanks again. Jojo

• Like 1

I also did a valve adjustment...  It sure was nice to be able to work on that engine, 360 degrees......In the future, I will probably not try to answer questions about MP engines , unless I'm sure of what I'm typing... Thanks again for chiming in.. Jojo

• Like 1

I totally agree. I don't want to get philosophical, but it's better to help someone up than to kick them while they are down. If we all can learn from each other then it's a win win for everyone. Imagine given a bucket of bolts and a box of gear to put back together and not having any clue how and not knowing what the specs are? If the original poster of this thread were to do that then geez, imagine the catastrophe? Anyway I'm glad for your contributions and JoJos.

V

• Like 2