looking for info on a truck from sommers NY

joes mack

We were donated a truck that was originally from sommers fire dept in weschester county ny. it started as a 1979 Oren and in 1991 was sent to pierce and refurbished with a new cab and body. this truck went to greenville TN area and mcdonald fire dept donated it to us. this is all we know about the truck it has a 8v-92 detroit and a 4 speed allison auto. 1500 g.p.m. waterous pump. i know its not a mack but i figured some of the members on here would know something about this truck. thank you in advance. joe 

It should be the old Engine 186.  Its a tandem axle right? somersvfd.com  I remember this rig well.  My department was two towns south.  Website says it was originally a 1000gpm pump not 1500gpm.... Although Pierce may have put a larger  pump on it during the refurb.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Edited by General Ike
  • Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

the pump has for sure been upgraded we had it pump tested last friday during our anual test on our trucks and it passed with flying colors 1500 gpm. we have been told it has a 2,000 gal a 2,200 gal and a 2,800 gal tank. pierce couldn't give me any info except it was refurbed for somers.  

11 hours ago, joes mack said:

the pump has for sure been upgraded we had it pump tested last friday during our anual test on our trucks and it passed with flying colors 1500 gpm. we have been told it has a 2,000 gal a 2,200 gal and a 2,800 gal tank. pierce couldn't give me any info except it was refurbed for somers.  

Contact Waterous with your Waterous serial number, and they will send you SN specific manuals and parts diagrams for free (if you don't already have them.) Waterous is just as good at record keeping as Mack is. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Easy way to figure out how big the tank is within a few gallons.  If I recall correctly it had a dump valve on the rear (although that may have been E188 which was a newer, similar Pierce).  If so park on a hill (you've got plenty of them in Harlan County) with the back step facing down.  Empty the truck.  Weigh it.  Then refill the tank and weigh it again.  Subtract the empty weight from the full weight and divide that number by 8.34 and you will have the approximate size of your tank.  If no dump valve, pump all the water out, leave the tank to pump valve open, open the main pump drain and drive around for a bit to get any excess out and perform the same procedure to weigh it.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"