RT to RTO Conversion

I can't remember who it was, but, sometime back, someone asked a question about converting a RoadRanger from direct to overdrive.  I remembered that I had the instructions for doing that on a 910/915 series, and promptly forgot about it.  I just now remembered it!  Old-timers, I guess.

I do not know if this works on ALL models or variants.  Maybe someone else knows?

Basically, this swap speeds up the countershafts, effectively making every gear a bit "taller", except 5th (direct).  This makes the pattern 1-2-3-5-4, with 4th being overdrive.  As I recall, there is a different shifter plate assembly that reverses the 4-5 pattern, and makes the pattern "normal" again.  This was the meaning of the "X" in the transmission designation (RTX-910, for instance).  Again, I am not sure how many models that plate was available for.

Anyway...

image.thumb.png.c303b76aeda9c10a3b5fb50583416ee2.png

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

53 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I can't remember who it was, but, sometime back, someone asked a question about converting a RoadRanger from direct to overdrive.  I remembered that I had the instructions for doing that on a 910/915 series, and promptly forgot about it.  I just now remembered it!  Old-timers, I guess.

I do not know if this works on ALL models or variants.  Maybe someone else knows?

Basically, this swap speeds up the countershafts, effectively making every gear a bit "taller", except 5th (direct).  This makes the pattern 1-2-3-5-4, with 4th being overdrive.  As I recall, there is a different shifter plate assembly that reverses the 4-5 pattern, and makes the pattern "normal" again.  This was the meaning of the "X" in the transmission designation (RTX-910, for instance).  Again, I am not sure how many models that plate was available for.

Anyway...

image.thumb.png.c303b76aeda9c10a3b5fb50583416ee2.png

No clue but you are correct on what the "X' meant in terms of the reversed position of 4-5.

2 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Thanks, 'Horse.  I used to be able to remember more of that stuff than I can now!

Ah-but I'm older than you I'll bet😎 And if we are talking about RTO's for sure they were reversed.  In the back of my mind though I'm thinking when they went to the "X" designation for OD  I'm not sure if that still applied.   ???

53 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Ah-but I'm older than you I'll bet😎 And if we are talking about RTO's for sure they were reversed.  In the back of my mind though I'm thinking when they went to the "X" designation for OD  I'm not sure if that still applied.   ???

From what I can remember (and, more importantly, what I can find on Eaton's website!), the RTO had the funky, reversed 4-5 pattern and the RTX was an overdrive with the pattern "fixed".

Maybe I can find a good image of that page and post it.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:12 PM, theakerstwo said:

The X means OD but that was in the later trans with the X bar in the top cover.In the RTO 910 or 9510 you will not find a X bar top cover.

Right.

RTO = overdrive with reversed 4-5 pattern.

RTX = overdrive with "X" top plate which "corrected" the 4-5 shift pattern.

image.png.079e6eb0c191c8e8854c2c2b4ba4620f.png

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
added chart