If Mack Built A Pick-up?

I had always wondered why Mack never built a pick-up in the "modern era" and one day I decided to contact Mack in Allentown and asked if they would ever consider it. This was a couple of years ago and I mentioned that if they made a well built, nostalgic looking pick-up with a real good diesel engine in it and were able to put a reasonable price on it, it would probably be a big success.

In my opinion, if it were done right, they could probably out sell Chevy, Ford and Dodge individually and maybe even more than all three total.

To my surprise, I got a pretty quick response from some one pretty high up in the office, but we didn't get the answer we were hoping for. Their answer was that "They are not set up at the facility to build smaller trucks". Also went on to say that if they did proceed on it, that they would have to farm it out and they really didn't have a good choice of anyone to build one for them. I never sent back a reply, but in my opinion, I would say having someone else build it for them would be a mistake anyway. But also will say if they're not set-up to build one, to get set-up.

What do y'all think?

I would definatly buy one, the old tahoe is due to be replaced. A while back I even drew up what one would look like too (kinda like a vision). International now has the CXT and soon the RXT and the military humvee replacement the MXT which should also be marketed to civilians. Mack would definatly have a leg to stand on in the light truck market due to the rep they have in the heavy truck market. Would love to pop the hood to reveal a nice chromed up engine compartment with a real turbo charged mack engine coupled to a mack 6 speed (engine brake too!). Add to that a real nice comfortable interior sitting on a rock solid chassis then you would have a winner. Looking out the wind shield of my pickup and seeing the bulldog would make me proud to drive it!

Damn now I really want one lol.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Great idea and nothing is impossible. Mack would go broke to do this currently. To tool up for a second assembly line, the engineering, crash test, EPA considerations. How do you market such a machine. If all the die hard Mack Truck guys bought one at $50,000 each, it wouldn't allow Mack to brake even on cost. A large sales market would have to happen. Now here in metro Detroit, special series automobiles are not done by the auto makers but custom body builders with design engineers do this. The best one could do is get with Mack and get permission for the name, Bulldog design, ect. Get the design blueprints for a B series so that you could downsize it quickly and apply the cab design for crash worthiness. Get with Ford or Dodge to purchase in volume one ton truck chassis with the Cummins or International diesel engine. Design your pickup bed. Put all this together sell it for the price of a Hummer. Then wait for all the off the wall lawsuits just because people can. But in all this it would be nice to have a retro style Mack pickup . :SMOKIE-LFT::D

We've kicked this around a few times on the old boards...

I still think it would sell if done right and the price was decent...but I also agree that it would takes millions to get a pick-up of the ground from scratch. And I really wouldn't want to see GM or Ford build it and then just stick a dog on the hood...that just wouldn't be a Mack!

Sad to say, but I don't think we will ever see a Mack Pick-up in our life times...

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Hi,

I don't think it would work, Mack trucks are built for people that drive truck for a living, they have drove trucks for years and had diesel engine in these trucks for decades. Now look at your average Ford superduty owner ( I own one) You use your truck for short runs, no trailer most of the time. I love my ford, and my b model. I also work in the service department of a ford dealer. You would not believe the squeak and rattle repairs that you have to track down, all the non-exsitant problems, emision reqirements of the new little diesels. A person that drives a semi truck would not think too much of a loud brake squeak at a normal stop. Or a slight viberation at 35 to 38 MPH for instance. Most people that are buying the new light trucks this is there first diesel engine. Why do I have to plug it in when its cold? I am glad that the excursion is now canceled, Lots of those are being drove by people that will not do any mantaince at all. Where as your average large truck is well mantained by a fleet or even better a owener operator, If the truck dont run it cost the owner money. Although It would be one heck of a truck if they did!!

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

My 1st thought was that it would be great, but then rational set in. Farming out? one word there...... Midliner. And actually it would not be a Mack even if it was built in Allentown anymore. By the time it could be ready there would be so much Volvo influence that it might as well have an angled line thru the grille. Now onto the CXT and like. The only people who can afford these are those with more money than sense. Jay Leno said it best in regard to the one he purchased (and I like Jay as a collector and car/truck guy). On a rainy day I hit the brakes and did a 360, but still stopped at the light without going thru the intersection, it was real scary, but kinda cool. Think about the people who are buying these things, driving a 15,999# vehicle that is just daily transportation to them while talking on their cell phones and yelling at the kids in the back seat, etc.

Now, restore a '67-72 Chevy/GMC, stretch the doghouse a little, raise the body/bed on a body lift kit, drop in an E6 300 with a 5 speed manual on a custom suspension and one ton front hubs and rearend and you have a way to tow your jonboat down to the river and sound cool while you do it, then when you catch your limit and you head home you can get your foot in it and make a little smoke!

T.

• 1 month later...