Emissions Argument invitation

Somebody counter this thought.....A Pre tier 3 engine is perfect to manipulate. 

Im buying my 4th generation Skoolie and I’m thinking I may buy a pre tier III engine. My old rule was no electronic motors, but times running out on that thinking.....they’re all in Mexico now. 

Back in the day we loved screwing around with a base mechanical engines and did whatever we wanted with delivery manipulation and made lots of smoke. We didn’t change pistons and turbo every time we wanted more power. This bus with a Cat 3126 engine has a different rebuild kit for the 5 or so HP groups they come in. It’s a 190HP (170 lowest, 330HP highest) and I want to crank that up a fuzz. BUT.....A different base engine package for the HP increments? I’m calling the bluff and saying the wild long list of piston & turbo variations are mainly for emissions compliance........ esp piston variations.....NOT to compensate for stress/heat/compression/performance etc. Historically, you kept your turbo/injectors and took free agency to do what you wanted with pump delivery.

Im not talking about maxing the Cat to 330HP and blowing the driveline, but flashing it up 20-30 HP and different (proper) injectors. I think it can still be done at little risk to the base engine except whacking out the emissions read.

Anybody ever get bit???

PS- you find a good condition, locally owned, 11 window, bus with a mechanical DT466/Cummins 5.9/Cat 3116  w/ 5 or 6 speed manual....I’ll pay a $100 finders fee if I buy it. Scouts honor. It’s thin pickings to find something with a decent body. Impossible really in salt country. 

Edited by Mack Technician

2 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Somebody counter this thought.....

Im buying my 4th generation Skoolie and I’m thinking I may buy a pre tier III engine. My old rule was no electronic motors, but times running out on that thinking.....they’re all in Mexico now. 

Back in the day we loved screwing around with a base mechanical engines and did whatever we wanted with delivery manipulation and made lots of smoke. We didn’t change pistons and turbo every time we wanted more power. This bus with a Cat 3126 engine has a different rebuild kit for the 5 or so HP groups they come in. It’s a 190HP (170 lowest, 330HP highest) and I want to crank that up a fuzz. BUT.....A different base engine package for the HP increments? I’m calling the bluff and saying the wild long list of piston & turbo variations are mainly for emissions compliance........ esp piston variations.....NOT to compensate for stress/heat/compression/performance etc. Historically, you kept your turbo/injectors and took free agency to do what you wanted with pump delivery.

Im not talking about maxing the Cat to 330HP and blowing the driveline, but flashing it up 20-30 HP and different (proper) injectors. I think it can still be done at little risk to the base engine except wacking out the emissions read.

Anybody ever get bit???

PS- you find a good condition, locally owned, 11 window, bus with a mechanical DT466/Cummins 5.9/Cat 3116  w/ 5 or 6 speed manual....I’ll pay a $100 finders fee if I buy it. Scouts honor. It’s thin pickings to find something with a decent body. Impossible really in salt country. 

Dt360 while on the rarer side are also a good option for that small of a bus.same displacement as Cummins but it has liners that can be replaced unlike a Cummins 5.9 .Also there is some aftermarket support since guys used them for sled pulling and they make plenty power with the right add ons.

Just my 2 cents

PS:I believe Carson Stauffer diesel sells some of the go fast parts for the Dt engines.

RED

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R.E.D said:

Dt360 while on the rarer side are also a good option for that small of a bus.same displacement as Cummins but it has liners that can be replaced unlike a Cummins 5.9 .Also there is some aftermarket support since guys used them for sled pulling and they make plenty power with the right add ons.

Just my 2 cents

PS:I believe Carson Stauffer diesel sells some of the go fast parts for the Dt engines.

RED

I’m ok with a parent bore engine. The expectation is 2,000 miles or less per year, so I’ll never need sleeves/boring. DT360 are a fine motor, but my thinking is the 12V Cummins 6B are so common in the automotive world I can be fishing up in Ontario and find a fuel pump @ NAPA. Cheap performance parts too. The Skoolie-ite site has the B as making 10% better fuel mileage than DT360 or larger. My last skoolie was a Ford/New Holland 6.6 liter diesel @ 170HP......so even a 190HP 5.9 sounds snappy.

Ran a mechanical DT466 last week, loved it, shakes the bus when you crank it up, Lottsa flyweight, displacement & power, too rusty though. Guy from Iowa is now going to buy and run it in a bus demolition  race and keep the motor. 

6 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Actually, I pretty much agree with you- The early electronic engines had enough advantages like easier cold starting, cruise control, and diagnostics to make up for the added complexity.

I was over on your side of the fence yesterday at Lakeville, MN.They’re dumping three Chevy buses with 2136 Cats. Smooth and quiet. Took the ‘03 for a cruise. Little ECM/HUEI control goes a long way in response and performance. Only Autos unfortunately, Allison 2000. No one wants gears, understandably, for that app. 

Last month Quality Bus up in Big Lake, MN had a long 1996 Ford B800 with full luggage undercarriage boxes, 5.9 Cummins and a 5 spd. Salt free. Guy slapped $500 down before I got over 😬 . Mechanicals are gone like 💨 .  

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1