B61T fifth wheel options

What would've been some standard options for a single axle truck back in 1959? Would a mechanical slider have been something that was put on a single axle? Or was a rigid mount the most practical. My truck has the holes for a rigid mount but was tossing around the idea of a slider to cover up some of the bare frame. The truck will never again pull a fifth wheel trailer, possibly in the future a ball hitch will be added so I'm installing the wiring before it hits the road.

Thanks in advance.

everything back then was a ridged mount, most of the time with angle irons, sometimes with U bolts. i know at some point they outlawed the use of U bolts on 5th wheels. a Fontaine mechanical slider would have never been an option on a single axle, usually they were fixed. sometime i think in the 60's some tandems were set up with sliders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the response Maddog. Guess that narrows down which hitch I'm going with. I was offered a Holland bolt on which looks very lightweight but was used on a 66 R from leaman tank lines. (Pic attached) I'm waiting on a pic of another unknown brand that was removed from a late 50s international. Hoping that one is a little beefier.

20200609_151255.jpg

Not so much historic correctness, but more time period correct. I dont need the exact hitch it came from the factory with. I realize parts get changed over the years. I'm looking to give the appearance of a working truck that came out of the mid to late 60s that was used daily but taken care of. While I appreciate the amount of work put into an immaculately restored truck, I can't do that level of work for so many reasons. I'm more of a good running dependable vehicle restoration with as many period accurate details as I can. If the tree farmer next door asks me to spot a trailer for him, i want to be able to do it without fear of mud or a scratch or chip.

• Like 2