Strange E7 issue

M54A1

I have a 97 CH with a mechanical 350hp E7.I bought the truck used, and it has always had a slight stutter or miss, especially at 1400-1700 rpm and it gets worse as engine temp increases. I had the injectors and pump rebuilt. I checked compression, and found #6 was consistently 50lbs lower than the other cylinders. Finally did an inframe overhaul, and had the heads rebuilt. I found a stuck ring on the #6 piston. I was sure this would fix my engine stutter, but it made no difference. The other day I tried cracking the injector lines while the engine was held at 1600 rpm, and when I loosened the #4 line, the motor smoothed out and ran like a sewing machine, until I tightened the line and the stutter came back. What is left to check and what would cause that?

I haven't looked at the cam. I have checked the valve lash several times and haven't had to tighten the adjustment. I figured a bad lobe or lifter would loosen the lash up and cause a ticking sound