78 R model hub swap

Coop381

I have a 78 686ST that someone had cut down to a single axle dump. It has the old style Dayton hubs pretty sure 26000 six bolt axle cap with hump on it  4:25 ratio would like some direction on where to find parts to convert to pilot hub buds. 

Edited by Coop381

I would try to locate a Mack axle first.  If my local used truck parts yard had a smoking deal on something else, then would have to balance out my time vs money.

Truth be know, I would stick with the spokes.  Daytons are typically stronger than Budd's, easier to change in the field with hand tools and look better on a dump truck IMO.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

2 hours ago, j hancock said:

I would try to locate a Mack axle first.  If my local used truck parts yard had a smoking deal on something else, then would have to balance out my time vs money.

Truth be know, I would stick with the spokes.  Daytons are typically stronger than Budd's, easier to change in the field with hand tools and look better on a dump truck IMO.

Only thing i dont like about dayton is the drums on mine cost about 1400.00 for 4 of them.They last about 3years and they were webb brand.I had to waite about 2 weeks for webb to build some.

glenn akers

ok update on 78 hub conversion got a little more info on rear, its a CRD117 4.25 ratio  takes a 758 bearing with a 452 race & a 598 bearing with a 592A race.

anybody have any idea where to find pilot hubs for this rear I have made dozens of calls no luck so far any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Coop381