Carrier yoke installation

I lost the gears in my back carrier in my superliner. I got it pulled out and the new ordered, I need to pull the yoke. I’ve heard I need to mark the bolt and count the turns when I take it off so I can put it back on the same. I’ve also read to torque the bolt to a certain amount to set the preload. Which way is right?

I marked mine where it came off but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I unbolted it and tapped it with a 5 lb hammer til it came off. I never torqued it but I ran it in with my impact gun til it came tight then hit it once more. So far mine is fine maybe someone else can confirm

Torqueing up the bolt or a nut at a flange or yoke of a diff means much if you assemble a pinion assembly which has deformable tube between the bearings to achieve a correct preload. The way is you tight the nut moving the outer bearing to the inner one. The tube between them gets pressed down what means shorter, the bearings closer to each other, the gap between then less and passing the zero becomes a preload. So some certain torque on the nut determines required preload.

Mack CRD-93 carrier doesn't have deformable tube. It has a hard tube which length you choose assembling the pinion housing (when rebuild) and setting the preload. You use a shorter tube to increase preload (or grind the existing one) or add shims to make it less. In a case you use already assembled pinion housing or a complete carrier the torque of tightening the yoke bolt is not extremely important. In fact you should turn it tight enough to not get loose during its service but not overtight braking the bolt.

For the best you can check the prescribed torque in a chat which is conteined in the carrier repair manual. Of what I remember CRD92/93 manual is not avalible online but you can find one for CRD-112/113 which is mostly similar.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012