2005 CV713 AMI 370 Metal object in oil change

Deere Mack

Hello, I hope everyone is staying well.  I've been wide open with essential dirt work.  Went to change the oil today and found treasure!  It looks to be part of a valve spring but I was hoping to get everyone's opinion and what not.  It's at my mechanic's shop now and they're about to pull the valve covers to take a look.  It's been running fine as far as I know so this is a surprise to me!

20200427_125121.jpg

20200427_125050.jpg

It wasn't anything from the top side.  We had originally thought it might be a spring cap or part of the spring but everything looks good, plus he said it was to small for anything like that.  He's going to drop the oil pan to take a look.

It almost looks like the end of a hook.  The bevel on the inside doesn't look to be full circle.

Edited by Deere Mack

How big is it if measured end to end? 🧲 magnetic? Are the leading edges forged or sheared off, IOW- is it built circular via machining, or circular by catastrophic coincidence? Are you still running a stock, emissions legal, AI? Did you explode some turbos in this unit, Fred’s theory is solid, anything can happen when things start coming apart at 40K RPM. Like the late, great, Joe Diffie said....”when your spinning ‘round, things come undone”(welcome to Earth 🌍 third rock from the sun). Usually it’s a shaft shard going down the southbound turbo tube. 

Edited by Mack Technician

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

How big is it if measured end to end? 🧲 magnetic? Are the leading edges forged or sheared off, IOW- is it built circular via machining, or circular by catastrophic coincidence? Are you still running a stock, emissions legal, AI? Did you explode some turbos in this unit, Fred’s theory is solid, anything can happen when things start coming apart at 40K RPM. Like the late, great, Joe Diffie said....”when your spinning ‘round, things come undone”(welcome to Earth 🌍 third rock from the sun). Usually it’s a shaft shard going down the southbound turbo tube. 

No engine problems since I've had it, almost a year.  I don't have the piece in front of me but if it was full circle it would be about the size of a nickle and it is magnetic, it was stuck to the drain plug. one edge seems to be sheered the other doesn't seem to be. From the pic it doesn't really seem round at all more like a hook.  One side flat the other looks machined/cupped and the inside has a groove machined part of the way.

Edited by Deere Mack

#4. The rocker arms have spring washers preloading them from lateral travel. It’s one of the 6 c-clips mixed in with those sprung rocker shaft washers. 

#5. A broken section of the variable  thickness washer/shims used to load and adjust mounting depth of the oil pump spring retaining cap for the relief valve. 

M

5 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

#4. The rocker arms have spring washers preloading them from lateral travel. It’s one of the 6 c-clips mixed in with those sprung rocker shaft washers. 

#5. A broken section of the variable  thickness washer/shims used to load and adjust mounting depth of the oil pump spring retaining cap for the relief valve. 

#4 sounds interesting.  I'd love to see a pic of those c clips because it doesn't look like a washer to me.  Valve lash did seem fine.

6 minutes ago, Deere Mack said:

#4 sounds interesting.  I'd love to see a pic of those c clips because it doesn't look like a washer to me.  Valve lash did seem fine.

I’m outta luck on my account. I hit 100% on used space and it won’t reset. It’s stuck. I dumped a bunch of attachment pics and it gave back no newly available space to use. Stays right at 100 and took away my file attachment prompt.

7 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Not sure if some of the idle/acc gears could drop a failed-split machined washer? 

If it wasn’t any of those I’d run it and (if it helps you sleep better) assume it’s compressor goods. 

ha!, I've learned not to loose sleep with this beast.  The centri max filter inserts are brass, I think.

56 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

No. 1 in the pic is the c-clip mentioned in item #4

6440.jpeg

20 minutes ago, fjh said:

Bro I think turbo washer now I know the size seen this before turbo gave out at som point .

you have only had this truck for a year do you have history  on the unit bet it had a turbo failure!

If you zoom in on it, it doesn't look like it ever was a full circle.  No history at all.  The history I was given was mainly on suspension and dump cylinder stuff and it was all lies