Mack-Lanova ED vs END

VintageSmoke

Good morning ladies and gentlemen-

Working on a story for my Vintage Smoke column in Diesel World magazine about the Mack-Lanova ED diesel, focusing primarily on the initial development. I have a fair bit of info on that part of it but what I am having trouble learning is about the transition to very similar END engines. I will touch on them as the successor to, evolution of, the ED but what I can't seem to find is info about the differences between them. I know they debuted three other displacements soon after the original 519 ci ED and they came in 405, 457 and 605 cubic inch displacements. All the references I see in various period publications through 1942 refer to the the original 519 ci as the "ED" and the others as "END." In 1943, that designation changes and the 519 becomes the "END519." Are there some Mack gurus here that can educate me on the technical differences between "ED" and "END?" If any. They pretty much look the same in images, though I am sure the

Also, if some here has an ED in any truck and could supply a high res image, I'd use it in the story alongside the vintage images I have. Time is a factor here, as I only have about a week left on my deadline.

Also, while I have your attention, when the ED debuted in 1938, in which model Mack trucks were they available? Maybe between '38 and '40. I have info on the wartime trucks, such as the legendary NR series, which were powered by the ED.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Lanchester vibration damper? That thing turns up on other engines I have written about and I've never seen any material on it.

Many thanks for your attention.

Through an exchange agreement, Scania provided Mack Trucks with their new open-chamber, direct-injection combustion system, resulting in the legendary Mack END673 “Thermodyne” engine.

The direct injection END673 then quickly replaced the END672 incorporating Lanova pre-combustion chambers (energy cell combustion chamber).

(In the early years, Mack Trucks’ diesel engines including the ED519 and END672 utilized a Lanova design pre-combustion chamber design. Like Buda and others, Mack Trucks had purchased a technology license from Germany’s Lanova AG, led by the German engineer and Lanova concept inventor Franz Lang.)

• Like 1

The ED519 engine was available as an option in Mack Truck models such as the FH and FJ in the late 1930's.

Looking through my Motor's Truck Repair Manual, the ED (519) and the END (405, 457, 605) are named as you have indicated.  Within most of the repair procedures, the ED and END are grouped together.  The ED is separated with regards to head bolt tightening sequence, use of lash caps on the rockers and connecting rod orientation.

I can't give the definitive answer but speculate that the ED was "upgraded" to match the rest of the family.  The war was at full tilt in 1943, standardization of parts was important to that effort.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI to the gang that my story on the Mack-Lanova ED/END diesels is out in the July issue of Diesel World magazine. It's out to subscribers now and will soon be available on magazine stands. It features an image of an FJ Mack that Chuck P was kind enough to let me use. Enjoyed the forum and will check in from time to time in case I need to bone up on Macks!

Jim Allen

• Like 1