Air compressor w/PS pump:

Rob

Looking to replace the air compressor in my old B-61 which is a Bendix Tu-Flo 500 to a later style with an attached P/S pump. I have a reservoir and steering gear. Also have a belt driven pump but would rather have the more compact, (married) setup from an R model as instance.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A quick search reveals all of the items to mount a pump to either a 500, 501, or Midland are readily available through PAI. I'd still rather uprate from the old 500 series however.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, davehummell said:

When I did that changeover on my end 673 the dipstick was the problem for me. I ended up grinding a lot off the top backside of the adapter that is used to mount the pump. 

Thanks Dave; I'd not thought of dipstick location as a problem but you are correct in an original manual steering B. My engine is an E6-350 and "had" a power steering pump mounted to the original air compressor, (Bendix Tu-Flo 501) but the pump itself is the type with the reservoir attached. There was not enough room in the engine compartment to fit as the pump itself looks like an over grown Saginaw pump from a mid 1970's GM product. I used the original air compressor, (Bendix Tu-Flo 500) air compressor to get the engine set into the chassis.

The engine is originally from a 1982 Cruiseliner and the dipstick is oriented differently than an original B series to clear the pump and requires modification for access to check the oil level. Otherwise the fender access panel needs removed each time to climb in there to reach.....

I may have what I need already but have not busted the p/s pump loose from the air compressor yet. I know there are two Vickers V10, and V20 series pumps in the shop and if the spline counts and rotation are the same they should marry up. Mack used a right hand rotation pump, (viewed from shaft end) and the pumps I have are unknown as to rotation direction.

Thanks,

Rob as far as the vickers pumps go the direction can be turned around by only turning around the center cartridge  and also be carefull and turn the vanes same way as they came out of the center housing.I would never use a 500 over a 501.Just because of how easy the unloader is to change on the 501.For me i always change a 501 for a 750.Here there is no upcharge for the 750.On the vickers pump you can look at the cartridge and see a half of a arrow pointing in the pump direction.

glenn akers

Thanks Glenn;

I suspected the vane pumps would be reversible but have never done it on the series spoken of. The pumps I have are new and will get a seal kit ordered once flow rate and direction are ascertained.if needed. From memory they seem to be 7/8" 13 spline shafts. It's been quite some time since actually seeing them however.

Found a photo on my phone but cannot attach it. V20 series with rt. hand rotation by the tag so getting closer. 

I had a vickers 20 on my b I bought the pump used and It didn't work so I took it apart and changed the rotation then it worked. I remembered when I worked at Cleveland bro. we always punch marked every pump vane or gear so we got it right.

Understand Dave. I've never had one of these apart myself or should say that I remember. I built a lot of wood splitters in the early 1980's when that was popular and several times used second hand pumps. Most however were gear pumps and were easy to reverse rotation and that's what I remember most.

This is a pump from one of my old splitters I used with a gasoline engine but mother in law preferred an electric version. I built the mount(s), installed an electric drive coupled with a chain coupling after reversing the rotation of this pump during rebuild which consisted of a new gearset, and end plate. Motor is a 5hp single phase unit easily powered by an extension cord, or portable generator. Not shown is the use of an electric tandem center valve and pressure compensation to ensure equal travel speed on extension and retraction of the cylinder which was an 8" bore, 3" rod, and 30" stroke on this unit. I liked to limit operating pressure to 2000psi so everything lasted a good long time and 50 tons of force will split any log.

image.jpeg.81e24914580483989ef8e9842a351577.jpeg

image.jpeg.f55b70e3670cead7800877682b39b049.jpeg

It worked well for a lot of years till becoming disused so I tore it apart for another project repurposing the steel and cylinders in a hydraulic press I've not yet finished.

Here is one of the two pumps I have:

image.jpeg.f94fb186a38e51d8783a50966e1e19d5.jpeg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Found my pumps snaking out under a bench but I don't remember sticking them down there. I know I'm alone when I say I've got too much crap in my shop to find anything when I need it.

Rotation is correct direction so don't even need to take anything apart.

image.jpeg.7ff7a899bdd43f609f3888d75f1c94be.jpeg

Started the truck at 19 degrees outside this morning without issue. Not plugged in so took a bit of cranking but it did fire up. Air pressure runs right up to 120psi and governor ceases making air so I'm calling the job a success.