B67 rear end model identification

Farmall1212

Just got a B67 and it does not have the center section in the rear. Axles are there. Any idea where I can find a tag or stamping to determine what I need? Did they all have the same rear just different ratios? I am going to use this as a site truck in the mountains so I don’t need it to be brand new. It does have Mack stamped in the rear cover which is welded on and is not removable is that helps in identifying. Can I swap it out with a newer style that drops in From the top? This one comes in from the front. Thanks 

Could be either a single, or double reduction differential originally. Do yo have the driveshaft available with the truck? If so and you'll relay the distance from the center of the rear universal joint to the rear end housing face, one can figure out what was originally there. Most likely a dual reduction unit as several were. There may be stampings on the right axle tube viewed from the rear also that would identify it. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I agree with a double reduction unit. I'll measure a single reduction unit I have but I'm thinking it's closer to 18", or 19".

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

look on the rear pass of rear housing, the flat part to the right of Mack stamped on the tube. should say 507 508 512 . the bolt pattern is all the same single or double reduction. even some newer  Mack rears that were off brand housings were the same bolt pattern. deciding factor is will your axle splines slip into the rear

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

7 minutes ago, Maddog13407 said:

look on the rear pass of rear housing, the flat part to the right of Mack stamped on the tube. should say 507 508 512 . the bolt pattern is all the same single or double reduction. even some newer  Mack rears that were off brand housings were the same bolt pattern. deciding factor is will your axle splines slip into the rear

Exactly. His measurement from the center of the rear universal joint however will suffice and either will slip into the housing but installing a single reduction into where an original dual reduction carrier once mounted will take driveshaft modification to lengthen and conversely the other way.

Which is better single or double? This will be a site truck in The mountains so the lower the ratio the better. How much newer of a rear fits? Do you think the newer style that drop in from the top would fit if I changed the whole axle? I can get one of those cheap. Not looking to put a lot into it.