Jay Leno’s Garage - Brand New, Never Sold, 1987 Buick GNX

kscarbel2

I just watched that episode last night.  He never really talked about all of the unique features that made this car so much more special than a regular Grand National.

I had the pleasure of getting a ride in a press pool car (GNX #002) when I was friends with Scott Oldham.  Scott's dad was Joe Oldham who was editor for Popular Mechanics and contributor to the classic East Coast magazine Cars Illustrated.  I had a '86 GN w/ T-Tops at the time and the two cars couldn't be more different.

Starting with a suspension with longitudinal torque bar and Panhard rod, full Stewart-Warner gauges, exclusive staggered 16" rims with speed rated Goodyear VR rubber, recalibrated chip, higher efficiency charge air cooler and to top off the whole package, a ceramic blade turbo.  Was the whole package worth an extra $11000 over the price of an '87 GN?  I say yes.  It was worth every penny. Buick had a car that was an instant collectible and dealers were marking them up 10, 15, 20 grand over sticker.

Here is a short story from Hagerty that recalls a neat visit from a then-17 year old Scott.  He was leaving my house heading back to Old Bridge, NJ where he lived at the time.  I wish the pics were better quality but it was dark and the cars were black of course.  It's hard to see but it had Michigan MFG plates.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/03/20/crashing-a-brand-new-buick-gnx

GNX 002 at my house.jpg

Edited by Chuck P
  • Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)