1993 Mack Rd 688 E7 400 No start

Onestitch

Question

I bought a 1993 Mack rd 688 E7 400 engine and the guy I bought from said it has all new injectors and it looks like all new fuel filters and truck would run and start great ..just bump the key and it would start right up ...then it slowly got to where it would start taking longer cranking to start but it would run great when running ...went to start yesterday and cranks but no start ...it will run on starting fluid but then die ...tank is 3/4 full of diesel...were should I start trouble shooting this ? Pull the fuel filters and check for full ? How do I test the fuel pump or transfer pump ?  And I do not see a primer hand pump on this thing anywhere..do some not have them ? Do the 93 Mack E7 have a ecu that controls the injector pump ...truck does have cruise control switches on dash but I never tried it ...the previous owner said cruise control worked great on it so I assume it is electronically controlled ...I have basic mechanical skills on all my smaller vehicles ..I replaced the injectors on my 2001 Duramax my self do all my own mechanic work on everything I own ...but this is my first big rig I have owned ...Thanks and any in sight would sure be help full ...

4 answers to this question

I pulled and changed fuel filters and no start so I checked voltage at fuel shut off selenoid and I am not getting any voltage so think I found my problem but it is not showing any fault codes ...lightning bolt light only comes on for 3 seconds then goes off when I turn key on ...I try to retrieve codes thru the cruise control switch resume button but it dont show any faults and I image lightning bolt light would stay on when I turn the key if it was throwing a code or fault but it just comes on for 3 seconds and goes off