Power steering pump question

gumbiegumbie

This is an odd one. My power steering reservoir keeps getting over full and putting oil out the cap. There's no power steering cooler that is intertwined with coolant for it to be water. The lines go solely between the steering box the power steering pump and the reservoir. The only thing I can come up with is somehow or another the pump is pulling motor oil around the snout of the pump and somehow putting it in with the power steering oil. Anybody ever seen this? It's a 2001 model ch 613. Steering is working fine. Power steering still seemed as easy as it ever was. Just keeps pushing oil out the top of the can getting it all over everything around and under it. And it's not just the gasket leaking because I suck oil out with a suction gun and get it right down to the full cold mark and run it for about a week and the oil will be right to the rim of the filler cap. Thanks in advance for any insight on this

Edited by gumbiegumbie

The motor uses a little oil anyway and we're only talking about a quart or so to make the power steering reservoir to fill up to the rim of the filler neck so that part is hard to tell if there are equal or not. That motor might not be using as much as I think though if it would quit putting it in the reservoir? Use the power steering pump is bolted to the front of what I call the timing cover and drives off the opposite end of the accessory drive from the air compressor

Edited by gumbiegumbie

The power steering pump is really the only crossover point between engine oil and power steering.  Rebuilt pump is probably only a couple hundred bucks. I'd go through dealer though, using your vin. My engines all have the PS pump on the back of the air compressor, on the front of the timing cover would turn opposite direction. Not sure if the pumps work right spinning backwards.