Started initially, but now it won't...

😭 Got this bad boy started up, hasn't run in a few years, was last on the road for snow work in '02, but we have started it and moved it once every 5 years or so. (I think Rob had one of these posts recently about how auto guys make a huge deal about starting their gassers for the first time in 2 years, deisel guys just drop a battery in and hit it!)  Started and ran good, shut it off after a few minutes. A couple hours later it won't start! Cranks good, but isn't getting fuel. We cracked the return line off the injection pump and don't get any fuel gushing out when we crank it.

Did I read somewhere recently that the fuel shutoff rack can stick internally? Could this be the cause? I can almost guarantee the fuel filters haven't been changed since the 90's, we're going to start there. No hand primer pump on the truck, we'll have to pick one up. Suggestions?  1976ish U685T.

KIMG0443~2.JPG

KIMG0442~2.JPG

• Like 1

I've got three 2 valve endt676 engines, two have one brand and the third has the other brand. My crane has an endt675, not sure if it has same pump as the U model, doesn't make a difference to me so long as they start and do what I tell them!

Peer in the tank for Schmegma clogging the pick up tube. Had some old fuel grow algae or some thing from sitting and running it disturbed it and floated in to the fuel pick up. Also had some micro bug build a home in the fuel cap vent so try it with them off.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 hours ago, Rob said:

The four valve E6 engines used Robert Bosch pumps in the later years of the engine. The front pump mounting is completely different from the American Bosch and they are not interchangeable. The later two valve engines, (EM6-285/300) could have had a Robert Bosch pump, or American Bosch, as I've seen both. I don't know if the two valve engine front cover and the four valve front cover are interchangeable to swap injection pump styles or not. They very well may be but I've never seen an ENDT-676 engine with a Robert Bosch pump installed myself.

I do believe this is a Robert Bosch mounted on a 1976 endt676 inside my retired 1980 DM686SX.

KIMG0457~2.JPG

I think you'll note in the picture that the front of the pump actually is 4 bolts. But they use an adapter that uses a 3 bolt pattern to bolt to the block. You can just see one of the bosses on the pump side of the adapter. I can double check later to make sure I'm right, but I believe all endt pumps have an adapter section between them and the block.

Here is my Mack book. Robert Bosch is mentioned up front in every engine book I have in binder #1, both 2vh and 4vh engines.  American Bosch is mentioned through 1983 and then in 1984 American Bosch became "United Technologies Diesel Systems".

My engine books even have V8 info in them too.

There's a sneak peek of binder #1 for you.

And the casting number on the Robert Bosch adapter.

KIMG0459~2.JPG

KIMG0470~2.JPG

KIMG0472~2.JPG

KIMG0471~2.JPG

Back to my original post, it was the supply line my dad cracked on the pump and got nothing. Shut down lever has resistance, so we're looking at algea.  We've had algea issues before in other equipment that's sat, I just misunderstood which line my dad cracked.

My books go through 1986 or so, which is about when my dad bought our first Mack, (1979 R686ST) which we are still beating on today. He learned from a mechanic in his younger years don't try to remember specs. Look them up. Which is probably why he bought the binders. They cover everything from injection pumps to camelbacks. V8s, 2vh end673 to 4vh e6's. Frame repair, cab, oil and filter air cleaners, transmissions, bogies...

7 minutes ago, Rob said:

Your books are newer than mine. Mine are green TS-442 which precede the black binder set you have. My oldest is 1964, and newest is 1978 with supplements through 1980. Much of the information carries over. The AMBAC pumps used six retention fasteners to the adapter where the RB pumps used the four as you mention. I've not been around any 4VH engines at all as they were new when I exited the truck repair employment chasing greener pastures. Never have looked back as it was a good move for me. Looking through an RB listing there are several engines that used the RB pumps but most are into the 80's. I see in that publication even some ENDT675 engines used them, but nothing I've ever seen.

My binders are brown 😎

My binders are tune up books, overhaul books, etc.  Nice to have books gifted/handed through the generations. I wonder if my books will be relevant to my trucks in 18 years when my son starts driving.... I'll try and have at least something still here that they apply to. Even if it's just Camelback suspension.