The Good R Models

Volvo never really got to mess around with R/RD etc...models, only thing I can think of that volvo did was ending the production of Rs in vavor of the new granite,vision,CH models etc... The only R models I did not like were the ones euiped with low RPM engines. they never seamed to pull as well?? but they are all Damm tuff trucks so I hope your back is healthy LOL

Trent

The R models had a lot of detail changes over the years, and in some ways you want a later model to get as many of these upgrades as possible. Examples of these upgrades were the switch to galvanized steel in the late '80s that pretty much solved the rust problems and the small bulge put in the back of the cab to give a bit more legroom in the '80s. Some changes may or not be upgrades depending on your needs, like the electronic controls and anti lock brakes on later models. And some of the changes were just plain dumb, like that ugly hood on the last decade or so of RD production.

Ouch. I thought that was the best R model short hood offered. A friend of mine said that he always felt that new RD hood was more reminiscent of something you would have seen from Brockway in later years. I see his point.

Our 2002 RD was a pretty good truck, but suffered from Mack's notorious electronic malfunction engine issues so common of late production years.

As a side note, when ordering cab parts for our older RS700L's, we typically just give them the RD690's VIN. Saves a lot of trouble and aggravation at the parts counter.

Dan

Volvo never really got to mess around with R/RD etc...models, only thing I can think of that volvo did was ending the production of Rs in vavor of the new granite,vision,CH models etc... The only R models I did not like were the ones euiped with low RPM engines. they never seamed to pull as well?? but they are all Damm tuff trucks so I hope your back is healthy LOL

Trent

Don't forget the great air assist steering,wow wasn't that great :blink: Tim