Crazy Volvo shutting off

steeler

Working on a 2011 Volvo road tractor, not sure of the model since they don't put it on the vin label. It has a D13, came in with hard starting problem. It had 3 cups leaking. I changed injectors and cups, now the thing ribs great for 45 seconds and shuts off. It will fire right back up, run exactly 45 seconds and shut off.

The key is jacked up in this thing, you can take it out whole it's running, and I'm pretty sure you could start it with a screw driver. No new faults, only the same one that was in it before I worked on it, for def level from the instrument cluster.

Of course this one has the aftertreatment deleted as well.

Is there any security feature I'm not aware of that would shut it off because the key is flopping around in there?

I'm just grasping here, not sure where to go.

Maybe a bad VEB

45 seconds sounds about right for oil pressure to build up.  If the veb is bad and activating the engine brake it would shut down/stall.  

Whats your description of shutting off.

examples

Shut  off like the key was off.  All power off

or

Shutting down but accessories still on.

Edited by Challenger
Auto correct

I’m still leaning towards veb.  The engine runs normal up until brake kicks on and shutdowns.  

I would start truck, watch oil pressure gauge.  If engine shuts down when oil pressure goes up,  I would replace the VEB.  Especially since you did touched the veb doing cups.  

Just my thoughts.  

From my experience with bad vebs it sounds something like-  

blum, blum, blum, blum, blum, blaahhh. 

Smooth running and kinda like the key shut it down.   Not cracking and popping like old Mack’s.   I installed an engine brake on a Waste Management MP7  years ago. Started it, after a few seconds it shutdown.  Thought it was more of an electrical problem.  Eventually figured out the brand new veb was bad.  I’ve seen a lot of bad vebs since then.  

May not be your problem.  But definitely worth remembering. 

Good luck 

2 hours ago, Challenger said:

From my experience with bad vebs it sounds something like-  

blum, blum, blum, blum, blum, blaahhh. 

Smooth running and kinda like the key shut it down.   Not cracking and popping like old Mack’s.   I installed an engine brake on a Waste Management MP7  years ago. Started it, after a few seconds it shutdown.  Thought it was more of an electrical problem.  Eventually figured out the brand new veb was bad.  I’ve seen a lot of bad vebs since then.  

May not be your problem.  But definitely worth remembering. 

Good luck 

45 seconds seems to long for ebv 

tops fifteen seconds! watch the oil pressure gauge if preasure comes up and the engine shuts down and this coincides with the shut down it’s likely  the ebv !  If not look elsewhere. Oil pressure sensor/ oil level  sensor / overheat sensor low water level bla bla  bla.

unfortunately the dpf covers up anything you used to be able to see or hear on a real engine!!

Edited by fjh

Ok fixed it. I am no longer a fan of working on an engine that has had the aftertreatment deleted.

I had no check engine light, I was checking for codes in guided diagnostics add I always do. Well since this is us10 emissions, I took a quick look at the faults in the test section and was showing an active fault for coolant level. I fiddled with the sensor connection and now that's all good.

I don't know anything about the software they program these things with when they delete them, but apparently it's whacky.

Ok next problem (which ain't gonna be my problem) there isn't anywhere in ptt to program the injector trim codes as I always do. The truck runs fine, but has a little haze to the exhaust. Like I said, it's not my problem. If he wants the codes put in I guess he will have to take it to whoever deleted it.

Anyway thanks for the help guys.

• 1 month later...

Go to parameter programming, there select mid128 and you will find boxes for programming the injector codes.
The thing is that you need to have PTT that has those things unlocked (level as high as dealers).
My tuner saves the injector codes before programming, and make sure to put them back.
I learned all this from him, and I done quite a few Volvo/Macks and never had issues.