Ga Dump Trucks?

if she can still pull the hills you should be fine. GA has some good country roads with steep hills. I have seen many old macks working down there so I dont see why it wont make you some $$$. You could use it as a on site truck and skip out on the cost of plates ?? I think some of the 6 wheelers use tri axels down there also???

Concerning rules and regualtions, if CT now is anything like MA and RI was back in the 70's and 80's you should be able to do a lot more with your truck down in GA. Maybe someone from GA will jump in, but here in VA a truck owner can operate a truck for profit with no problem. You should be able to haul independantly if you choose or haul for another outfit using your truck. Probably the only negative around here is that if a truck is old and rough looking, it would be more apt to get stopped on a road check. But if a person has a good looking truck in real good mechanical shape there's usually no problem. If no one does jump in, I would call GA DMV for any needed info.

But I'm a little puzzled on why you would need to take off your 3rd axel.

I live in New England and own an old DM-686 tri axle.237 w/jake,6spd,58k rears.My family lives in Gainsville GA and wants me to move there.Could i make any $ with this old dog down there?I know i'd have to take off the 3rd axle.Thanks for any answers  :thumb:    :mack1:

Well with the 237 I'd think you could save some money on fuel and you probly could haul for the towns in the area. Having a DM helps I think, working in tight areas so that's an advantige too.You don't need to brake any speed records to make money with a old dump, she'll get the job done. Tim :SMOKIE-LFT:

I live in New England and own an old DM-686 tri axle.237 w/jake,6spd,58k rears.My family lives in Gainsville GA and wants me to move there.Could i make any $ with this old dog down there?I know i'd have to take off the 3rd axle.Thanks for any answers  :thumb:    :mack1:

I am pretty sure you can not use a tri axle in GA, I have lived in GA most of my life, years ago almost all the dump trucks around here had a third axle but around 10 years ago the state changed the weight limits and all the sudden no more 3 axle dumps.

However, you can make a very good living running a dump truck in GA, alot of my cutomers have them and they seem to be busy all the time unless it is raining.

I will check out the regs and see what I can find for you.

BTW. most of the dump trucks along with the concrete trucks down here are Macks!

GA has a lot of quarrys and concrete plants, also sand is a big item to haul.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

I'm on the MA CT border,our hills are steep and our roads are "ROUGH" to say the least. :wacko: Down here in GA the roads are like a majic carpet ride to me :thumb: and everybody seems to drive slow.(i wouldn't think you'd NEED big power)I see some lite rears in the trucks down here though.Just wondering about the laws,pay and so on.Thanks so far!

GA has a lot of quarrys and concrete plants, also sand is a big item to haul

That's another thing,there doesn't seem to many different types of material down here!Red clay,and more red clay.Just wondering.

There is also asphalt, but most of the guys that haul it use their trucks just for that.

One thing I have noticed a big increase in is the roll off type trucks, I see more and more of them when I get out on the roads.

There is also gravel, they get around $300 a load for crush and run.

Dont knock the red clay, I have a friend who was able to quit his job and do nothing but sell his "hill" which is nothing but red clay, pack that stuf in good and it gets as hard as concrete.

You should have no problem hauling for yourself, but some guys hire their trucks out to larger haulers but, there are just as many independants as contract haulers

Big plus here is that you can work almost all year unless it rains, thats when I get most of my dump truck customers. I print hauling tickets and DOT numbers for them. It is about the only time off that that can get by my shop.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

There is also asphalt, but most of the guys that haul it use their trucks just for that.

Any idea what it pays per hour?How many hours per week are common?Just wondering how Looooong the days would be. ;)

I do not know what the guys that haul asphalt get per hour but I do know that most of them can get just about all the hours they want if they get in with a contractor doing major road work, most of the new road construction goes on 24/7 weather permiting

If I ever sell my shop and building I would like to get a truck and do some hauling myself.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

I am pretty sure you can not use a tri axle in GA, I have lived in GA most of my life, years ago almost all the dump trucks around here had a third axle but around 10 years ago the state changed the weight limits and all the sudden no more 3 axle dumps.

In GA, I'm wondering if that also includes any lift axels.

In GA, I'm wondering if that also includes any lift axels.

Well I found this page: Georgia DOT Weight Limits

This is what they say about lift axles "Lift axles may not be used in computing the maximum total gross weight authorized for any vehicle or load."

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Interesting. Here in VA about half the trucks have lift axels. I guess each way has it's pros and cons. But anyway, I saw a dump truck this summer and I had to take a double take. It had 5 axels. It was a tandem with 3 lift axels. The axels were almost to the cab. The front 2, if not all 3 were steering axels, of course.

Interesting.  Here in VA about half the trucks have lift axels.  I guess each way has it's pros and cons.  But anyway, I saw a dump truck this summer and I had to take a double take.  It had 5 axels.  It was a tandem with 3 lift axels.  The axels were almost to the cab.  The front 2, if not all 3 were steering axels, of course.

Yea all for the bridge formula. The shorter the vheicle the more concentrated the load on the road surface. The idea is to spread out the load more evenly. Hendrickson has a real good article on there site for the Bridge Formula. I could rant all day on the short comings of the law but thats a whole nother story <_< .

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I live in SC but I do notice when I go to GA you never see any tri-axles. I was told, and read in the other replys that GA does no recognize a tri-axle configuration. Therefore a lift axle is just additonal empty weight that you do not need. :mack1:

I live in SC but I do notice when I go to GA you never see any tri-axles.  I was told, and read in the other replys that GA does no recognize a tri-axle configuration.  Therefore a lift axle is just additonal empty weight that you do not need.  :mack1:

Arkansas doesnt reckonize the 3rd axle either but if ya got it ya better use over it there other wise if ya get caught not using & your loaded the fine is outrageous :blink:

Yall have a goodone

Bulldog

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: