Antique 5th wheel

17 minutes ago, JoeH said:

In the next few years I hope to retire our '79 R686ST straight truck and restore it back to a tractor, maybe for show. To be a nice show truck should I be getting a period correct 5th wheel? And where would I pick one up at?

First what one do you want, Make, slide or solid mount? Were are you located? Shipping would be a lot more than what an old 5th wheel is worth. I Got a Fontaine No Slack slider from early 80's if you want it come get it, for free, going to scrape in a few months. There are a few guys here that have them laying around if I am to far away. 

I know I have a sliding 5th from a 79 Cruiseliner. I took it free from the cutoff last spring. Don't know anything about the 5th wheel itself but the slider tracks are bad from rust. It is currently buried on my scrap trailer but I need to unload the trailer until prices rebound a bit. The guy was using it till he junked the truck but I don't know about the sliding part.

I'll get it off the trailer and give a look to ascertain if it's worth working with. I get to Lititz, PA every now and then for Gerhart's Mack Meet and will probably be there in October with my current water truck which may not be the same then.

• Thanks 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.