98 E7 Etech shutting off

Bradford

I've had this issue ongoing for several months and I found some older threads concerning several people having similar issues. I've replaced the ground relay, power relay, oil pressure sensor, engine speed and engine position sensor, and the ECU. Today it only shut off after reaching engine temperature and hitting bumps on a rough road. The tach will bounce and then it will shut off. Sometimes it will start right back up and other times it will take a couple minutes. When it shuts off it doesnt shutter, like its losing power. Does anyone have any ideas? 

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, Bradford said:

I've had this issue ongoing for several months and I found some older threads concerning several people having similar issues. I've replaced the ground relay, power relay, oil pressure sensor, engine speed and engine position sensor, and the ECU. Today it only shut off after reaching engine temperature and hitting bumps on a rough road. The tach will bounce and then it will shut off. Sometimes it will start right back up and other times it will take a couple minutes. When it shuts off it doesnt shutter, like its losing power. Does anyone have any ideas? 

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a 1995 E7-400. It became very unreliable. I was told by a mechanic that the engine harness sometimes became damaged where it is located along the right frame out to the engine/fuel system. In the off season, I removed the harness and under the mess from leaking oil and pinch points, I found several broken and bared wires. I think a new harness was about $1700, so did some very thorough repairs and it's still working good after 3 years. Also had another shutdown problem with the same truck at another time (can't remember if it was before or after) and found a defective oil pressure sensor, thanks to this forum.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Do you get lighting bolt when it shuts off on the dash? I use to have a shut off problem myself. I had to replace the fuel injection pump and it would still shut down but this time it would crank right up as before it would shut off and would take some minutes to crank right up. One day I was parked and decicded to wiggle the cables leading to the ecu on the passenger side under the dash there’s an opening. As soon as I did that it shut off and lighting bolt would come on. I decicded to open the cover and unplugged the ecu cleaned the connectors and plugged it back in. I also tight down the wires with some tight straps so they won’t move too much. It might of been the cleaning of the connection or me holding those cables in a better place but it never did shut off again. Hope this helps.