Sick flathead

beatngu

So I have the 401 running but has a hard knock from the front of the block. I noticed yesterday excessive smoke from the crank vent tube which makes me believe there may be a stuck valve. Is there a backwoods remedy for this such as diesel down the plug hole? I would just start tearing it apart but I have already seen that gaskets may be a hard buy.

Stuck valves do not knock but they will disallow the cylinder to fire. You can check this by removing the side cover on the engine and visually look to see if a valve is "hung" open by looking at the clearance between the valve stem, and tappet, (lifter). If one is found hanging open, use a long screwdriver and hammer and gently persuade it back down.

If you have a knock there is something loose internal to the engine. Could be a rod bearing gone bad.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Indeed I do, taking the cab off is the only way I can do it as I only have a small new holland at my disposal to do this task. I can't justify cribbing and bottle jacks for this task lol. My b61 was a wash so it became the donor. It all pans out in my head but certainly there will be at least one major issue

So I have a friend to help me with his knuckle boom truck, I want to believe we can find a way to do it without pulling the cab now. The only thing I am worried about is the clutch linkage, does the spring shakle have to be pulled or does the shaft pull out from the transmission?