Misfire on deceleration

I have looked around a bit and not found anything about this, just picked up this truck at an auction, starts fine seems to run fine except when you let off the throttle quick like if you were going to shift gears the engine misses and sounds almost exactly like a Jake brake has engaged. Any ideas? I’m new to these Mack engines, I suspect a timing issue but before I dive down that rabbit hole thought maybe someone has seen this before? 

The truck has a ENDT 673 engine in it.

Welcome to the forums.

They make Jakes for those old 673T's, so first thing is to see if it has spacers under the valve covers?  Switch on the pump arm?  If it has them, maybe the dash switch is broke/missing? 

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Ensure the valve clearances are correct meaning run the overhead first to ensure it's accurate. Verify you do not have a "Dynatard" engine brake installed without the appropriate operating gear in the valvetrain. "Dynatard" has oil solenoids  on the valvetrain and they do some funny things if not set up right.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You are correct but the loose exhaust valve seats did not hold up long before breaking and the engine most times had a definite miss during all rpm's. An overhead run and compression check is first order of business.

It almost sounds as if the solenoids for the "Dynatard", (if equipped) are "hot" all the time rather than selectable via a toggle switch on the dash.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.