Mp7 cam removal & replace

Mike Eder

I only ever did one unit injector Mack camshaft. Buy yourself a book and go to the school of hard knocks. A case of liquor may help and best used as medicine after the job while licking your wounds. The local Mack dealer had closed up and parts came from across the state. They were very helpful and I could talk to the guy it the shop if I had a question. There is a lot of stuff to them lining up roller lifters and possibly pulling heads due to guide plate problems and such. That cam is a big boy. I did not spring for the Mack lifter holders and bought big pencil magnets instead. The clothes pin would not hold them up as on some other engine I did that with. Reinforced them with rubber bands to make them stronger. The last question I asked was what is book time on that? Oh about 40 hours. Wow I have more like 80 in it. You will get better after about your first hundred. The early E7's had cam problems and it was that trucks second cam at 500.000 miles. Just saying not a job for the meek. Now you can all laugh at me and tell me I am wrong. I am used to that. I am married.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all said above, best advise I was given be for my 1st, was buy the manual, do not assume any thing can be short cut and take you time /double check.  Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE