bundy58

In December 2016 the trk a 2013 CHU with 505 18 spd fuller was at a service dealer for codes which I cant remember

Come to find out the airdryer was changed on the road because of failure of the original

A regular ad-9 was installed instead of the more advanced ad-9

Anyway while it was at the dealer they run a software or a program upgrade on the trk

After that the driver noticed a loss of power

So after listen to complaits I sent back to the dealer and they said it needed a new set of injectors at the time the trk had 163,000 miles

That was $6000 Still not back to normal Brought it to a different dealer and they put a turbo on it $5500 that seem to bring it back but not fully

It was showing 35 to 37 lb boost it should be 40

Complaints are starting again  So I decided to ask about what was done in the computer upgrade or reprogramming

I have sort of hit a brickwall with that question.I was told to have it dyno checked so I might do that and go from there

It's standard procedure here to update the software in the engine ECM, DEF/SCR ECM and dash cluster when engine and emissions fault codes are logged. Lots of times the new software solves existing issues and can prevent future issues. I have never see theses updates cause low power complaints. However, there are two possible ways things can go wrong with software downloads and I have done them both. First. Make sure TechTool is restarted for truck it's plugged up to. A couple of times I didn't close out the job card I was on and went and plugged it into a different truck. TechTool thought i was still plugged into first truck and if I were to do any programming, the data from the first truck could have been put into the second truck. The other way (and this happened the other day), all the ECM's in the truck are programmed with the VIN of the truck they originally came from. If the dash cluster , Vecu , engine ecm or DEF/SCR ecm were swapped from another truck, the VIN's won't match. This shows up when you first plug up to TechTool as Mis-matched hardware. You then have to choose  which VIN you want to choose, of course you pick the one on the door. If you choose the other VIN , your truck now get programmed as that truck. In these cases your 505 truck could be programmed to 415 . Dealer should be able to go to "product information " in TechTool and confirm HP and that all Vins in ECM's match what's on the door. That said , we sold a 505 hp CHU to a customer and he used it for a week and loved it. Next week he comes in and says it has no power. We test drive and confirm it. Long story short , we install new turbo and injectors and EGR valve. Still no better.  Come to find out , owner changes tires and wheels to full size 24.5" and didn't tell us. It threw the computer off so bad it killed the power. Changed the revs per mile in ecm and all good . 

• Like 1

yup Pays to ask questions!  Like when did this start and have you changed anything yourself  before This started that may have influenced this complaint !Guys are sometimes their worst enemies  Withholding  info how ever small it may seem! Can make a big difference in an out come can  send you chasing your tail for such a simple thing!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2017 at 8:56 PM, Ladybug said:

Shouldn't the Mack certified dealer know what the ECM update was for?  Sounds funny they would do an update without knowing what the outcome should be. 

The software for the MP equipped Macks is sometimes updated as many as 3 times a week or as little as once a year depending on the year and ECM.  The updates are usually to fix ongoing issues and or prevent future issues from happening. They rarely tell us what's been changed but I have seen the updates help with SCR , DPF and EGR issues. 

• 5 weeks later...