FA 535/FA 517 aluminum hubs

John Woge

I have a 517 front axle on a B-75 with spoke hubs. It has a 1-5/8" outside and 2-1/2" inside spindle diameter. I found some 535 aluminum budd hubs that I believe have the same spindle diameter as my 517. The early 517 used a 2-1/4" inside spindle diameter and the part number is 6 QJ 439 P1 and drum # 17 QJ 3119A-P4.  Does anyone have a Mack part number for the aluminum 535 hubs and a part number for the inboard drums that will work with 517's 4" brakes and did the later 517 with the thicker spindle use the same hub/drum as a 535 ?.....This should be clear as mud !! LOL 

Yes, I looked into it many years ago. It got complicated and after I had hubs and whole axles bought and none worked out....I finally said the heck with it......really don't need them.......but something has recently come up and I'm going to dig a little deeper. Kind of afraid that after buying hubs, drums, new studs and some wheels.... it's going to be more $$ than this poor truck driver can justify

Larry has been lookin into this for years. don't think he made much headway. I think the 517 was superceeded by the 522 after around 1962. don't quote me on this tho

517 was a 10, 500 lbs and the 522 was a 12,000 LBS axle and had bigger spindles. It was an option. I'm not sure...but think the 522 used that flat plate like axle cover that said Mack on it

517 was a 10, 500 lbs and the 522 was a 12,000 LBS axle and had bigger spindles. It was an option. I'm not sure...but think the 522 used that flat plate like axle cover that said Mack on it

NO...I got that wrong.....the 517 was a 9500 and the 535 was 10500....trying to remember too much in this burned out old brain...lol

517 and 522 used the same 6 bolt flat or domed axle cap. I just know I never seen any 517's after 1961 and ever one that looked like a 517 was a 522 so I figured they updated it like they did the 10 speed duplex. any later duplex I have 65 and up says TRD722 and not TRD72. don't even ask me what the difference is

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/3/2017 at 5:57 PM, theakerstwo said:

i have a front axle from a early F model which looks like it may be a 10000 lb axle to me which is for budd wheels with brakes.Two alummin wheels on it if some one wants and can come get them they can have it Springs to.

Hello. Just stumbled upon this thread. I am converting my B-61 to budd wheels and would love to purchase your axle if you still have it. Just thought I would ask. I live in southern Oklahoma.