cooling a turned up E9

Does any one have any thoughts on cooling a 750 hp E9 in a superliner?  I have seen some for sale that have electric fan set ups and wondering how well that works and who builds them?  Any other solutions?

Edited by stutz 712

I have an E9 that is turn up real well, actually I have backed it down a bit lately. It had 4 electric fans and no viscous fan on the engine. It worked well but put a good load on the alternator all the time. It was done for pulling to get the 50-75hp that a viscous fan would use at pulling RPM. The engine driven fan works and I have tried the original as well as a retrofit unit with fiberglass (plastic) blades. It is mandatory in most sled pulls to have plastic fan blades now a days. Make sure you have the big 4 core radiator and it is clean inside and straight and clear fins on the outside. Mike is running an Aluminum radiator but in all the engines I have, a copper core actually cools better. Heat transfer by the thermal numbers is greater for copper over aluminum. Yes, Aluminum for weight in a race car... is the way to go.

The big thing is no matter what the power output 500 or 1000hp the easiest thing to control heat is backing off the throttle when the water temp and pyro get to high. I have only had to back-off a few times pulling a good grade loaded, but still passing anything and everything in sight. It will recover in 2-3 minutes then lay into it again!!!

When you put a good load on the alternator, like with electric fans, with an E9 or spin it past 23-2500 RPM's the belt likes to flip in the pulleys. I always have a spare belt or two in the tool box. I am working on a two belt set-up to stop the belt roll.

Edited by AZB755V8
spelling
  • Like 2