computer toasted

casspace

I have a 2012 CHU 613 with mp8.   We carried to the dealer and they say the oil level sensor in oil pan has gone bad.   Which let oil travel up the wires to the computer and ruined the computer.    Then they tell me that its a common problem.   I have had this happen with an 05 Granite and was assured the problem was solved with antifreeze level sensor.     I was told my truck too old for any assistance from Mack.    I have a 2012 Granite that the injector cups went bad on.   Another common and known problem.   I even spoke to higher up people at Mack with no assistance.  Said my truck was too old.    If this was Ford or GM there would be recalls and lawsuits.   Any ideas?   Plus while they a trying to figure out problem I am getting charged 120 per hour for diagnostic fee.   We barely get 80 an hour for the trucks.     Cass

5 years is the max on policy/goodwill warranty. The dealer has to contact the Mack District Service Manager and plead your case to try to get you help. Each DSM only has so much money to spend per quarter on policy/goodwill claims. Plus it's lots of paperwork for the dealer and also dealer only makes 10% on parts markup. 10-15 years ago it was some what easy to get it approved. Now it's 2 hours of paperwork for the dealer and low markup on parts . The dealers just don't try to hard any more. We only do about 4 or 5 claims a year now. Years back it was 40 to 50 a year. Oil in the ECM on MP engines is some what common. Since 2008 I've seen only 2-3 that caused a ECM to fail. The injector cup issues still happen but now where like it was. Better tools and training is helping. 

On 7/27/2017 at 5:25 PM, casspace said:

I have a 2012 CHU 613 with mp8.   We carried to the dealer and they say the oil level sensor in oil pan has gone bad.   Which let oil travel up the wires to the computer and ruined the computer.    Then they tell me that its a common problem.   I have had this happen with an 05 Granite and was assured the problem was solved with antifreeze level sensor.     I was told my truck too old for any assistance from Mack.    I have a 2012 Granite that the injector cups went bad on.   Another common and known problem.   I even spoke to higher up people at Mack with no assistance.  Said my truck was too old.    If this was Ford or GM there would be recalls and lawsuits.   Any ideas?   Plus while they a trying to figure out problem I am getting charged 120 per hour for diagnostic fee.   We barely get 80 an hour for the trucks.     Cass

I've replaced tons of engine harness's because of oil contamination, rarely have I seen a eecu go bad because of oil contamination. Not saying it doesn't happen, just rare. The coolant contamination on your '05 Granite probably caused the eecu pins to corrode-different issue. When we replace engine harness's we also replace both oil pressure and piston cooler oil pressure sensors and the oil level/temp sensor. Also, we install jumper harness's on the above sensors as a precaution-in case one of the sensors fail and leak oil. The jumper harness will prevent oil from leeching into the main harness. 

The truck is 5-6 years old depending on the delivery date. Even with an extended warranty I think you would be out of luck. There are a few issues with the mack/volvo engines but I don't care what you buy, every manufacturer has their problems. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mackpro said:

5 years is the max on policy/goodwill warranty. The dealer has to contact the Mack District Service Manager and plead your case to try to get you help. Each DSM only has so much money to spend per quarter on policy/goodwill claims. Plus it's lots of paperwork for the dealer and also dealer only makes 10% on parts markup. 10-15 years ago it was some what easy to get it approved. Now it's 2 hours of paperwork for the dealer and low markup on parts . The dealers just don't try to hard any more. We only do about 4 or 5 claims a year now. Years back it was 40 to 50 a year. Oil in the ECM on MP engines is some what common. Since 2008 I've seen only 2-3 that caused a ECM to fail. The injector cup issues still happen but now where like it was. Better tools and training is helping. 

Yup Buy your self a couple of dozen trucks then you might have a Half chance of getting some help! otherwise your on your own!