Fuel Price Fixing??

fxfymn

Has anyone else noticed that the price of diesel at all of the major truck stops is pretty much the same no matter what state you are in? I drove back from SC yesterday and the price was $2.59 to $2.69 in every state despite the difference in tax rates. What really makes me suspicious is the price at local stations can run as much as 40 cents per gallon less than a major truck stop at the same or near by exits. I paid $2.26 at a Murphys in Dillon, SC when the Loves, Pilot and Flying J just south of there were $2.59 cash price. (I also watched an enterprising O/O squeeze his rig into the pumps to take advantage of the price; hats off to him if he got it out of there without hitting something) It's $2.65 in Carmel Church, VA just south of here and it is $2.29 at the local WaWa near my house.

So, is it price fixing or do the truck stops just figure that the drivers have no choice and they have no reason to be competitive?

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

You are correct.  Pilot is still in hot water for price gouging.  They have been in court now for over a year.  Id much rather spend my hard earned money with a Mom & Pop store any day.  Here in N.H. the local Irving truck stop is $2.45 while the same brand near the Hwy is $2.75.  Tell me they are not just plain ripping off the trucker

• Like 2

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

FXFYmn and 721, Truck stops have been playing those games for years! Crude oil is a commodity like soybeans and goes up and down, but truck stops have been known to milk their location to raise prices when there is no competition! I've also noticed that in the spring  gas and diesel prices tend to be lower ( to encourage tourists and vacationers to take longer trips) and go back up in the fall ( when truckers and business travelers have no choice but to pay the prevailing rate!) Gas stations near an interstate ramp are almost always higher than those in town!